Wasser metallics

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cher

Wasser metallics

Post by Cher »

while we're thinking Wasser, anybody tried their metallics in the kiln? I think I saw that on the U Got Glass web site. Any photos?
Yo
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

At skillfest I took Jayne Persico's classes this year which I found to be fantastic.

I just finished making two bracelets with silver metallic. One I did with the silver on the top and the copper on the top with a dichro accent. The other I did with the silver on top.

On the first one the silver beneath looks amazing.
On the second one, it is interesting....looks sort of creased, which happened in the slumping on the mandrel.

I am new to the bulletin board and have never posted before, perhaps if I get enougth nerve I will take a photo tomorrow and post.
Cher

Post by Cher »

please please if i can send nerve via this bb I am doing it now, :D really would love seeing your photos!
Yo
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

Thanks Yo.

I created an album and took some photos. I am not very good at taking photos of my work and hate having pictures taken of me. The co-ordinator of our studio tour is getting a bit frustrated with that. I know I have to get over it!!!

ok here it is........................ Karen

Arcticlassglassphotos@ca.msnusers.com
starchimes (Andrea)

Post by starchimes (Andrea) »

I am not sure how this applies, but if you are incorporating fused pieces (wasser metalics) into stained glass, be careful. I fused some pieces and tried to use them in a stained glass panels. (copper foil method) When soldering the pieces, the metallic coating came right off.
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Karen, how do I get your photos? The link didn't work.
Deb
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

Thanks for the feedback. This should be it. I really do need help and advice on taking photos so will probably post on the photos discussion after I have some feedback from some people.

http://groups.msn.com/Arcticlassglassphotos
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Thanks for the link--it's working now. I love the bracelet shape, but can't tell enough about the design or glass. I have her formers and the video.

Quick refresher, though--what kind of paper does she call for when lining the mold?
Deb
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

The paper is thin fire primarily. If you need to build up for a bigger wrist size and not purchase the large size bracelet mandrel she used layers of 1/32. I will have to check my notes again, but the suggested sizes she gave where in the range that most people use.

I have had more difficulty getting the shape right with the cane pulled bracelets, but that will come.

The silver with the copper underneath was more for a test, and it blows people away when they look at it and remind them it is glass not porcelain.

On the other one I cut a piece of dichro (like a worm) and tackk fused it to the bracelet. It looks somewhat like a jewel and does look cool. It is one I will be hard pressed to part with.

I have found that I like the thicker and wider bracelets on the whole.

I will add more of the other bracelets once I sort out my photography. :)
Cher

Post by Cher »

arcticlass wrote:At skillfest I took Jayne Persico's classes this year which I found to be fantastic.

I just finished making two bracelets with silver metallic. One I did with the silver on the top and the copper on the top with a dichro accent. The other I did with the silver on top.

8) IS the one without dichro silver and copper topped?

On the first one the silver beneath looks amazing.
On the second one, it is interesting....looks sort of creased, which happened in the slumping on the mandrel.

:wink: OK gotta admit, I am in love with the "interesting" one, is that copper wasser or what

I am new to the bulletin board and have never posted before, perhaps if I get enougth nerve I will take a photo tomorrow and post.
8) MORE please Thanks, Yo
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

Hi-

What have you found to be a good size opening for the back of the bracelets?

Thanks in advance,
Pat Loboda
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

Yo,
My posting probably has made things more confusing. Sorry.

The one with the dichro is wasser copper on top, dichro adornment and wasser silver on the bottom.

The other one is wasser silver on top and wasser copper on the bottom.

Hope that helps. I just did a bowl with the metallic gold and clear on top and it almost looks bronze not gold.
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

Pat,
The openings vary. I have a small wrist and find that I need an opening of 3/4"to 7/8". Depending on how thick the bracelet is will also depend on the opening size as well. It is learning how to put the bracelet on, not over the bony part of the wrist that helps. I prefer tighter since they sit straighter, but that will be personal for everyone.

If others who have worked on bracelets can give anyother insights it would be appreciated. thanks, kl
Cher

Post by Cher »

if you get a chance to post a photo of your bowl, I'd like to see that too. Thanks for your input, think i'll try some soon.
Yo
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

Yo,
I will work on my photography skills first and then post it. Thanks, kl :)