Looking for a local Portland glass artist

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jEgermeister04

Looking for a local Portland glass artist

Post by jEgermeister04 »

to help me in my senior seminar project. I am a high school senior approximately 5-10 minutes south of Portland looking for an individual to be a "community consltant" to help me with the processes of glass working. Contact me for more information.

Jeff
Sonje

Post by Sonje »

Jeff,
Which coast are you located - East or West?

Sonje
jEgermeister04

Which coast?

Post by jEgermeister04 »

West coast 8)

Got a plane? jk jk, thanks anyways.

Jeff
Paul Bush

Re: Looking for a local Portland glass artist

Post by Paul Bush »

jEgermeister04 wrote:to help me in my senior seminar project. I am a high school senior approximately 5-10 minutes south of Portland looking for an individual to be a "community consltant" to help me with the processes of glass working. Contact me for more information.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Could you be a little more specific about what kind of help you are looking for? Then I could either help myself, or put you in contact with someone that might be better suited for your project.

Paul in Portland
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
jEgermeister04

More about the project

Post by jEgermeister04 »

The project is a year long final exhibition for my senior class. It involves a product and a presentation. You must learn something new through research and contribute to your post high school plans and growth. Your job as a community consultant is to provide an expertise related to the experience and maintain an ongoing collaboration. Currently I do my own art with chalk, pencil, and pastel mediums and would like to further my artistic knowledge and creativity. I have begun research on the topic of glass art but what I need now is to move forward in the hands on aspect. This is where the community consultant comes in. I do not own a kiln and would be appreciative for any time I may get with one. I am most certain that I will be purchasing my own glass at bullseye but am not too familiar with all of the tools. Basically what I need is a mentor to instruct me in the process and evaluate and critique my progress throughout the year. I have talked with the art teachers at my school and they are fairly sure i can use the kiln there, so once I have a few one on one instructions then the meetings may taper off to being mainly just of critiqueing in nature. Thanks for your interest

Jeff
charlie

Post by charlie »

have you asked at bullseye? if they themselves don't want to do this directly, i'm sure they can point you at someone who could. a chance to work directly with the factory shouldn't be turned down.
jEgermeister04

Post by jEgermeister04 »

I have and they seemed hesitant to help directly with me, i.e., they suggested taking one of THEIR classes. I would much rather, on this sort of project, work in collaboration with someone on a one to one basis.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Taking one of their classes might still be a very good start for you. You will learn a lot of the science behind the art, really important to understand if you have any interest at all in continuing to learn as you move forward. If you read this board very much, you have probably seen that all of us, when we are beginning encounter lots of issues as we adjust to working with new to us kilns, etc etc. I always recommend that anyone who has access to a good beginning class take it. You are right there in the heart of the glass community in the US. Bullseye offers a great beginners class. I am sure if I took that class today I would learn new and very useful things. You will benefit from the class whether or not you have a mentor.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

JE

I have a challenge for you. Somebody in the Pacific Nowthwest, maybe Seattle, knows how to make pastel chalks using glass enamels.

Take a BE course, find a mentor. Get the basics. Then find out who has the recipe for the pastels and do something new and unique with them.

I heard about this recipe at Pilchuck over a decade ago, but I don't know it and I never saw any or any work made with them.

When you have good results let us know how you did it.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Clue #1 Nick Mount
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Jeff: you might want to check out Cline's for your supplies.... you can get Bullseye glass & products there... usually better prices than buying retail at the Bullseye Resource Center. Also, Cline's is a distributor of all sorts of tools as well. Best,
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Brock

Post by Brock »

Then find out who has the recipe for the pastels and do something new and unique with them.

I heard about this recipe at Pilchuck over a decade ago, but I don't know it and I never saw any or any work made with them.

We made and used these at Pilchuck in one of my classes. Not sure which, maybe Patrick Reyntiens. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Carla

Post by Carla »

jEgermeister04 wrote:to help me in my senior seminar project. I am a high school senior approximately 5-10 minutes south of Portland looking for an individual to be a "community consltant" to help me with the processes of glass working. Contact me for more information.

Jeff
Jeff:
Inaddition to getting materials at Clines they also have classes that are less expensive then Bullseye. Classes are also offered (I think) by Georgie's (you can find them in the phone book) which is the supplier for the ceramic folks. Taking a class is the best way to meet people who might be willing to mentor you. Taking on a student to mentor is a big commitment. It helps if they have met you mano a mano.

Carla
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Carla wrote:
Inaddition to getting materials at Clines they also have classes that are less expensive then Bullseye.
Carla
Carla's right about that. Tho I discovered my addiction at Bullseye, and took their 1st couple how-to classes, they were more of a tease than anything else. You don't get a chance to program kilns, etc.

After that initial B.E. experience, and as a total newbie, I had no kiln, no glass, no nuttin'... not even a cutter. The result, as any addict knows, was a state of high anxiety. Discovering Cline's beginning fusing class was like finding a treasure trove for me.

Clines' 5-6 week class only meets one evening/week, but during those weeks the students are free to use their studio whenever the store's open...and that includes extensive kiln use, grinding, belt sander, sandblaster. Not only that, but it's relatively inexpensive.

Taking that class transformed me.
I recommend it without any reservations whatsoever.

Barbara
Barbara Bader
Firehouse Glass

Re: More about the project

Post by Firehouse Glass »

jEgermeister04 wrote:The project is a year long final exhibition for my senior class. It involves a product and a presentation. You must learn something new through research and contribute to your post high school plans and growth. Your job as a community consultant is to provide an expertise related to the experience and maintain an ongoing collaboration. Currently I do my own art with chalk, pencil, and pastel mediums and would like to further my artistic knowledge and creativity. I have begun research on the topic of glass art but what I need now is to move forward in the hands on aspect. This is where the community consultant comes in. I do not own a kiln and would be appreciative for any time I may get with one. I am most certain that I will be purchasing my own glass at bullseye but am not too familiar with all of the tools. Basically what I need is a mentor to instruct me in the process and evaluate and critique my progress throughout the year. I have talked with the art teachers at my school and they are fairly sure i can use the kiln there, so once I have a few one on one instructions then the meetings may taper off to being mainly just of critiqueing in nature. Thanks for your interest

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

We would be happy to work with you on this project and have worked with a number of students on their senior projects like this. We are a public access glassworking studio in Vancouver, WA. We have classes and studios available for rent for kilnforming, torchworking, glassblowing and coldworking. We offer a wide variety of classes, from beginning to advanced. We specliaze in individual instruction and mentoring.

Please feel free to contact me and we can discuss what your goals are. It would be fun to meet you and to talk about glass.

Tina Kelller
Firehouse Glass
518 Main Street
Vancouver, WA 98660
360-695-2660
info@fh12.com
http://www.firehouseglass.com
Tina Keller
Firehouse Glass
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

hi all, i mentored a local student in a senior project like this last winter. we, ( her mom, her, big sister and i ) had a great time. i got way more from that exchange than i gave. i would recommend the experience. rosanna........ps it is a good excuse to clean the studio. lol.
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

YAAAAY TINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Barbara Bader
jEgermeister04

Thanks

Post by jEgermeister04 »

Thanks everyone I think I have found all of the help I will be needing. I'll make sure to post my progress on here once i get started.
Jeff
Dean Hubbard

Post by Dean Hubbard »

Jeff,

If you haven't commited yourself yet, I would strongly recomend stopping by Savoy Studios.

Dean