Rigidized FiberPaper Substrate/Molds

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jackie Braitman

Rigidized FiberPaper Substrate/Molds

Post by Jackie Braitman »

Oh Knowledgeable ones ...

I've been using fiberpaper to create textured, bas-relief tiles. I've developed some shapes/textures that I want to repeat consistently. Gil Reynolds book #2 talks about using paper with a rigidizer as a more permanent mold substrate. I have a few questions for you guys who use this technique.

1. I understand that for fiber blanket, you end up with about the half the thickness you start with. Will this also be true with fiber paper. So if I want 1/8" relief, I'll need to use 2 thicknesses of 1/8â€
Jackie
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i have not found much if any shrinkage with fiberpaper. i would use elmers and glue up my mold. then i would soak with rigidiser. it will not get all wet becuse the binder interferes. then dry and fire. soak again, dry and fire. kiln wash. use. the rigidiser will do a pretty good job at gluing it all together. i have one big ring mold made this way that i have been using for years. i do not prefire before rigidising because the fiber gets too soft and takes fingerprints and deforms for me. i think that it would tend to flatten as well. rosanna
Jackie Braitman

Rosana -

Thanks so much for the guidance. When I fire the mold, to about what temp am I firing? It doesn't say on the rigidizer I purchased.

[Not sure how I ended up posting to the Business forum -- but I'm glad you found it and answered. - Thanks]
Jackie
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

fire to whatever process temp you think you will go up to. that way (assuming all goes ok) you will know that when there is glass involved, nothing weird will happen with your mold. rosanna
Jackie Braitman

Rosanna,

Again, thanks much. I'll try it this weekend.

BTW, are you anywhere near Charlotte? My brother lives in Charlotte; maybe I can meet you and see your studio next time I visit him.
Jackie
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i am in the outerbanks. on roanoke island. rosanna
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Rigidized FiberPaper Substrate/Molds

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

[quote="Jackie in Washington DC"]Oh Knowledgeable ones ...

I've been using fiberpaper to create textured, bas-relief tiles. I've developed some shapes/textures that I want to repeat consistently. Gil Reynolds book #2 talks about using paper with a rigidizer as a more permanent mold substrate. I have a few questions for you guys who use this technique.

1. I understand that for fiber blanket, you end up with about the half the thickness you start with. Will this also be true with fiber paper. So if I want 1/8" relief, I'll need to use 2 thicknesses of 1/8â€
Jackie Braitman

Brian,

This looks like what I'm looking for. Let me make sure I understand you. 1. First I should put rigidizer on the fiberboard and fire it underneath(?) a mullite shelf so it won't warp.
2. Then I should paste up the fiberpaper and use some Bullseye kiln wash. -- looking back through earlier threads it looks like you're saying that Bullseye Kiln wash is a "bat" wash, correct?
3. Dry the paste/kiln wash. Rigizide & dry again.
4. Kiln wash again
5. Fire slow & low with a long soak (is the soak at fuse temps?)

Thanks very much for the suggestion.
Jackie