fuse & drop ring schedule?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

TAO

fuse & drop ring schedule?

Post by TAO »

I am student at Sul Ross State University. I am taking a slump glass class and for my final I need to find and fussing schedule for multiple layers of glass about 4 - 6 layers and a slump schedule for a drop ring (glass 10in disk). I would appreciate any information that can be shared. Thank you for your time.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: fuse & drop ring schedule?

Post by Brad Walker »

TAO wrote:I am student at Sul Ross State University. I am taking a slump glass class and for my final I need to find and fussing schedule for multiple layers of glass about 4 - 6 layers and a slump schedule for a drop ring (glass 10in disk). I would appreciate any information that can be shared. Thank you for your time.
The answer is "it depends." Four layers will be different than six. Bullseye Glass will be different from System 96, will be different from float. Different colors behave differently. How far you are slumping will make a difference. So will whether you are slumping onto the shelf or into a mold. So will your mold, your mold material, and the size of the hole you're slumping through. So will the kind of kiln you have. And the elements. And the placement of the elements. And your specific kiln.

With all that in mind, start with a basic slumping schedule and adjust as necessary.

If you click on "Old Archive" at the top of the board and search for "drop ring schedule" you'll find over 100 posts that deal with this topic. I also wrote an article on drop rings for the June/July 2003 issue of Glass Craftsman that will help.
jim simmons

Re: fuse & drop ring schedule?

Post by jim simmons »

Brad Walker wrote:
TAO wrote:

If you click on "Old Archive" at the top of the board and search for "drop ring schedule" you'll find over 100 posts that deal with this topic. I also wrote an article on drop rings for the June/July 2003 issue of Glass Craftsman that will help.
And a very good article it is. =D> =D>
Jim