Minimum rim width for drop out?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rebecca M.

Minimum rim width for drop out?

Post by Rebecca M. »

Is there a minimum recommended safe distance for a rim on a drop out? I made my own mold and either measured wrong or the glass shrunk, so I've got about 1/2" rim and would like to drop about 2 1/2" for a 10" bowl. It was supposed to be an inch rim. :oops:

I know the glass gods have got to be laughing at me on this one. I made my own murrini and it looked great after the full fuse except for 3 gigantic holes that took 2 more firings to fill in properly.
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Never mind. It turned into a sacrificial offering. :cry:
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Oh, if only I had a dollar for every failed dropout!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Becca

There is no stock answer. It depends on what diameter the drop is...
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

I have done something a little unconventional for a drop out ring. I have cut out the center of a greenware plate, leaving about 1" to 1- 1/2" of the rim. It looks something like this (______) with the line across the bottom being the opening. I then bisque fire this ring, kilnwash the outside and invert it so that the outer rim sits flat on the shelf and the opening is slightly elevated. I cut glass circles at least 1/2" smaller than the outer diameter of the ring, decorate as desired, place two layers over the center of the ring on the kiln shelf (centering carefully) and fire to full fuse and aneal. Then I raise the ring with the glass on it to the desired height with kiln posts under the outside rim and fire to drop out. The downturned rim of the glass from fusing on the form helps to prevent the glass from falling into the hole and gives a nice effect with a rim narrower than I have been able to get to work with a flat dropout ring. YMMV but I have made some interesting shapes with this.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Lynne- this may seem perverse, but that actually makes me feel better. Something to that phrase misery loves company after all. :wink:

Bert- I guess it was going to be a 9" drop after my goof with the rim. Turns out that wasn't my only problem. I was my problem. Gotta learn to let heating glass alone. Next time I spring for the big peephole.

Tom- that's a great idea. So your saying you're preforming your blanks a bit, right? Brilliant. :idea: I've been making molds out of the Ceramiguard, so I think I could pull off something like that. I think. Oh, for the day when the things in my head become the things in my hands. Wait, that doesn't sound quite right. :shock:
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Lynne- this may seem perverse, but that actually makes me feel better. Something to that phrase misery loves company after all. :wink:

Bert- I guess it was going to be a 9" drop after my goof with the rim. Turns out that wasn't my only problem. I was my problem. Gotta learn to let heating glass alone. Next time I spring for the big peephole.

Tom- that's a great idea. So your saying you're preforming your blanks a bit, right? Brilliant. :idea: I've been making molds out of the Ceramiguard, so I think I could pull off something like that. I think. Oh, for the day when the things in my head become the things in my hands. Wait, that doesn't sound quite right. :shock:
Cher

Post by Cher »

Tom, I'm not tracking the english language well today. If i could only get my hands on what is in your head (sorry Becca, couldn't resist). Do you have photos of before and after? Maybe a visual will help, or maybe I just need to read again when head is working (not guarenteed ever :roll:
Yo
>^..^<