Tiffany Reproduction Help

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

KellyG

Tiffany Reproduction Help

Post by KellyG »

I've just been commissioned to do a reproduction of Tiffany's "View of Oyster Bay" panel.

I'm considering cutting a whole wisteria cluster and using paint to create the individual wisteria leaves. I'll be using Yough stipple and would need a low firing paint to prevent distortion to the glass.

First question - how do you think this would look? I'm concerned it might look cheapened, but it's a daunting task if done by piece.

Secondly, if I decide to use paint, is there a paint that could be fired below 1000.

http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/Tiffany/8.htm

Any help would be appreciated. I only have 6 weeks to complete.

...Kelly
charlie

Post by charlie »

doesn't a reproduction mean you are making a copy? did tiffany originally do this with stained glass techniques, or fused?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Not to throw more cold water on the project BUT-

Having seen the window in person, and at length, I wonder if you realize what you're in for, especially in only 6 weeks. Unless you'll be doing nothing but that.

I don't remember any painting in that panel. I do remember an exquisite use of just the right piece of glass for each part and a lot of plating to get perspective and shading. Tiffany Studios had the luxury of being able to make the glass. And they charged an arm and a leg for their work.

Glassmasters has been selling "fused" reproductions of that window for a long time- it's done with decals- and it's merely a reminder of the real thing.

Another matter to consider- are the repro rights in the public domain or does the Met own them? And will they care if your version gets shown?

Not to say it can't or shouldn't be done- just to raise some issues for consideration.
Vic

Post by Vic »

The Glassmasters piece is neither fused or decals. Each color is individually silk screened on the glass and everything is fired at one time.
The original Tiffiny has no painting. It's all cut glass.
Marty

Post by Marty »

I sit corrected.