silver stain on sandblasted surface

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Don Burt

silver stain on sandblasted surface

Post by Don Burt »

I made a suncatcher yesterday. Its float glass that I sandblasted with 80 grit SiC. I put stain on it , then some transparent enamel in a second firing. The stain was a weak brand; Reusche medium yellow. I sprayed it all over the piece, then removed it as much as possible except from the little push-pin shaped recesses on the outside. Its interesting that the stain didn't 'take' at all on the blasted surface, as this was where it was applied most heavily. It didn't take on the unblasted surface either, as I removed it from there. Where it did actually take is on the sides of the blasted recesses, which I suppose would have a smoother surface than the bottom of the recesses. It 'bled' out into the unblasted area like a halo. I've blasted Lamberts flashes and Blenko before and the silver stain took to it quite readily, but I guess I've not done float, and not with 80 grit SiC.

The overall yellow cast to the piece is from an amber enamel, not silver stain. I was thinking a series of six different discs like that would make a nice transom, leaded-up with a border.