leaf inclusions

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

LindaS

leaf inclusions

Post by LindaS »

I have been playing with leaves as inclusions and have the same problem I have seen in the archives - bubbles around the leaves. The galling thing is that it worked well once and then not when I repeated it - perhaps I should just take my gift from the kiln gods and stop. Based on what I saw in the archives I have included a long hold at 930F/500C to try and burn out the organic material at a temp when the glass is still stiff, and I also have tiny chads at the corners. The schedule that worked once and then failed twice is:

300 to 930 hold 1:10 to 2:00 (the one that worked was the shortest hold)
300 to 1100 no hold
55 to 1285 no hold
300 to 1455 hold 30-45 (in my kiln this gives rounded edges, but if they are slightly offset you can still see the layers)
9999 to 1020 hold 45
130 to 660 off

Pieces are around 5 or 6 inches by about 4 or 5 inches. I am using float in a kiln with top elements.

For some other pieces I used Barbara Cashman's trick of firing with the leaves underneath the glass, then adding another layer in a second firing and it worked well for sturdier leaf ash. I am wanting to use leaves (pepper tree) that didn't stick well to the glass after the first firing, though, in this set up.

Ideas?

Thanks very much!