One of a kind jewerly pieces

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jane

One of a kind jewerly pieces

Post by Jane »

I've been doing some reading and reading here. I'm real lost! Which would be best kiln casting or pate de verre for one of a kind jewerly pieces? Rubber mold? Plaster? I know I need a class on this.....but was wondering what type since I'm wanting to do jewerly pieces or does it matter? Lost,
Jane
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Traditionally, the lost wax method of casting was (and still is) used for jewelry.
Jane

Post by Jane »

Thank You Brad for the information and thanks about getting on here to post, your right that AOL has problems.

Jane
Jerry

Castings

Post by Jerry »

Jane,
Look up Dan Fenton; he's in Oakland, and pay him a visit. His focus isn't on jewelry but he's an absolute master at casting and will teach you the fundamentals. But be cautious; this guy marches to his own drummer. He wanted to do a casting of a garlic bulb once (who knows why) and rather than trying to model one in wax, he cast the thing into plaster and burned it out in his kiln. Now, that works just fine, but you want to be in the next county when someone does it!

He's a great guy and worth the effort to find.

Good luck,
Jerry
Jane

Post by Jane »

Jerry, That is interesting about the garlic. I have heard that aboud Dan. I have his web site on my favorites. Can't wait for him to offere the class next year. His I do beleave is 5 days. Thank You, Jane