hand-held grinders

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marty

hand-held grinders

Post by Marty »

Has anyone used/owned hand-held grinders? The ones with center-feed water, takes 3 to 5" discs? HIS Glassworks has an electric model and an air powered one. Any preferences?
BobB

Post by BobB »

I have both air and electric grinders and tend to use the air grinder more. I have this thing about water and electricity not being a good combinations, but thats just me. I have a 5hp 30 gallon compressor and it keeps up nicely.

my 2 cents.

BobB
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I have the MK 1503S with the water feed through the arbor like you described http://www.mytoolstore.com/mk/1503s.html and while it's okay, it's not as ergonomically designed as the Felisatti that Doug has.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: hand-held grinders

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Marty wrote:Has anyone used/owned hand-held grinders? The ones with center-feed water, takes 3 to 5" discs? HIS Glassworks has an electric model and an air powered one. Any preferences?
Air ones R very noisey

Not the kinda thing U could use in a stolen room n go un noticed

I dont do a lot of this but I use battery drill n tungsten carbide disk then flexible disk with grit bound inside

I got a

Drip n Go tm feed

Water drips off a pipe tied on2 the drill

No expence is spared in the advancement of Cheetin Technology

Brian
LesleyNolan

Post by LesleyNolan »

I just bought a little air polisher from GranQuartz. I am waiting for a fitting from them so I haven't used it yet.
One of the things that I have found is that the air requirements are quite high. Many of the compressors out there today can not provide enough air unless you have one of those really big bad boy compressors. Also since the old oil type compressors have been fazed out it is harder to get into the air requirements necessary. I mention this because a couple of local artists recently took some classes from Brock and Avery, and they went out and bought sandblasting equip etc and with studio space etc, and found it difficult to get the compressor power they needed. (Brock and Avery too bad you can't get a commission for all the equipment you have "sold"!) Fortunately, I have an old cast iron, sanborn that can do the job of this little polisher. It is made by Diarex and requires 8 cfm at 90 psi. Most of the air polishers require 12 - 16 at 90 psi.
I will let you how I like it.
Lesley
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Marty,

I use the Fellisati WG20 grinder. I got it from Granite City Tools (http://www.granitecitytools.com) It has a water center feed and a variable speed. It uses 4" discs which can be found from a number of sources. If you get this model be sure and also order the rubber backer pad which is required to attach the discs.

I like it. You don't really need the water center feed as you will most likely be putting your work in a basin. Once the water is 1/8" to 1/4" over the glass you don't need anymore unless you like taking a bath with your glass. I just picked up a storage basin from WalMart along with one of those rubber dish pads they sell for putting in your sink. (Get the kind with all of the holes that comes in a roll) If you put that in the bottom of your basin it holds your glass secure while you grind. I don't really see any need to flush the water between grits, most if not all, of the suspended stuff is just powedered glass.

The vitrified disks last much longer than the resin pads but cost about double. I get vetrified for the course grits and resin for the rest. Be sure and use a GFI outlet or get yourself one of those GFI plug adaptors.

You really don't need to push too hard (depending on what you are looking to do) except maybe on the course grits. If you get up to a 400 or 500 grit most if not all of the swirls will firepolish out assuming you firepolish. If not you will need to go to much higher grits to remove the swirls from the pads.

Air tools are probably fine but I'm guessing that they are probably not as ergonomic nor as easy to control the RPM as an electrical version.

Phil
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

I use a Shinano wet sander fed from a 216lt receiver. Chuck on the wet weather gear and I'm off. Using it the way I do and being an ex-heavy earthmoving equip. fitter I can't imagine myself using an electric tool unless it was driven by a flexi cable. - Haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!