rehabilitating Paragon kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

fusiostudio

rehabilitating Paragon kiln

Post by fusiostudio »

I have a Paragon GL22AD. I heard awhile back about someone replacing the existing element (which keeps coming loose) with suspended, wrapped elements. Can anyone give me some advice about doing this retrofit? Thanks.
Richard M. Parrish / fusio studio
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i thought it might be Jerry in Coastal Maine. i sent him an email so he'll know about your inquiry.
Jerry

Paragon Elements

Post by Jerry »

Kitty is right, it were Jerry in Coastal Maine. And yes I do know something about getting those elements hung so they will stay there.

Euclid Kilns gets quartz rods that are the right size for your elements to pass through. They cut them to the correct length as well. You could do any of that and there are places that produce quartz so you aren't trapped in dealing with Euclid, but they've been there with me several times, RECENTLY and know the kiln as well as the remedy.

Basically, the quartz rods are cut to 20", elements inserted and the rig is hung by wire, I use heavy Nichrome which they will give you on request. I drilled right through the ceiling of the kiln and dropped the wires through to the elements, wrapped a hook around them and twisted it off on top. Works great until you bang your combing hook into them! So, don't do that. No more trash "J" hooks dropping into your work; what a blessing.

Euclid is in most of the Stained Glass magazines and probably is on line too. I recommend you call them and let them talk you through the ordering process. You'll find that they are very accomodating and professional.

Good luck,
Jerry
fusiostudio

Thanks!

Post by fusiostudio »

Jerry and Kitty,

Thanks for the great help! I will call Euclid Monday.

Richard
Richard M. Parrish / fusio studio
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Duralite sells the quartz tubes also, so check them out as well.
Liam

Post by Liam »

I just want to make sure I understand how it's hung. The elements are suspended in the quartz tubes, and the tubes (not the elements) are suspended by nicrome wire, right? How many wires does it take to suport one tube? I rebuilt mine using Denver's ceramic rods in a simialr way, but I'm unhappy with exposed elements.
Liam
Jerry

Quartz tubes

Post by Jerry »

The tubes are avaliable from a number of different sources if that's all you need. The reason I went to Euclid is that they also could replace the elements themselves. When they did that they gave me a good price on the tubes. I called Duralite in all that but didn't have much luck with them. The other option, if you don't need to replace your elements, would be a scientific glass supplier. Surely they could provide the tubes.

Liam, you got it right. I drilled two holes in the ceiling per tube, left to right as you look at the kiln and ran a piece of heavy duty nichrome through the hole to the tube. Actually, this time I got a little goofy, well, goofier, and bent the nichrome into the shape of an inverted "V" and ran the legs of the "V" through the holes and into the kiln. The ends, now inside the kiln, got wrapped around the tubes and I could twist the nichrome that was left on top to pull the elements snuggly against the roof. Seems to work well.

Hope all that helps.

Jerry
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

A source for quartz tube and rod, also Pyrex tube and rod.

http://www.quartz.com/

Ron
Liam

Post by Liam »

Very cool link Ron, thanks.
What size tubing have you all used for this? And do you have an idea of wall thickness?
Liam