mezuzah making

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

mezuzah making

Post by slats »

Was asked by JCC to make fused mezuzahs....Mastering the big stuff but need help (ASAP) on making these. What do I use for a mold? I experimented on samples....cutting and designing 4-5 inch lenth by 1 1/2 inch pieces, decorated and fused. Came out very nice. Now what do I slump them on so I have space for the klaf? Also what do you use for hanging so that one doesnt break the glass with a hammer when placing on door frame? :shock:
Bert Weiss

Re: mezuzah making

Post by Bert Weiss »

doctac wrote:Was asked by JCC to make fused mezuzahs....Mastering the big stuff but need help (ASAP) on making these. What do I use for a mold? I experimented on samples....cutting and designing 4-5 inch lenth by 1 1/2 inch pieces, decorated and fused. Came out very nice. Now what do I slump them on so I have space for the klaf? Also what do you use for hanging so that one doesnt break the glass with a hammer when placing on door frame? :shock:
Doc

I would suggest collaborating with a silversmith or blacksmith to make a metal back and hanging system. Otherwise an all glass design will necessasrily be vulnerable to the dreaded hammer. Much to my dismay and amusement, our sisters and brethren are not known for their hammering acuity.

I would get some stainless steel tubing as a slump mold. In order to kiln wash the ss, prefire it to 1200, then spray kiln wash when the temp drops below 500. The prefire burns up oils there from manufacturing the tubing.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
jim simmons

Re: mezuzah making

Post by jim simmons »

Bert Weiss wrote:
doctac wrote:Was asked by JCC to make fused mezuzahs....Mastering the big stuff but need help (ASAP) on making these. What do I use for a mold? I experimented on samples....cutting and designing 4-5 inch lenth by 1 1/2 inch pieces, decorated and fused. Came out very nice. Now what do I slump them on so I have space for the klaf? Also what do you use for hanging so that one doesnt break the glass with a hammer when placing on door frame? :shock:
Doc

I would suggest collaborating with a silversmith or blacksmith to make a metal back and hanging system. Otherwise an all glass design will necessasrily be vulnerable to the dreaded hammer. Much to my dismay and amusement, our sisters and brethren are not known for their hammering acuity.

I would get some stainless steel tubing as a slump mold. In order to kiln wash the ss, prefire it to 1200, then spray kiln wash when the temp drops below 500. The prefire burns up oils there from manufacturing the tubing.
You could also use a piece of fiber paper about 3/8 inch thick and about 2 inches shorter that the mezuzah, and then drill a small hole at the top and bottom for some small brass screws.
This works pretty good.

Jim
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I use fiberpaper as Jim describes. Pre drill and it firepolishes in the bending cycle. So far as I know, none have ended up being broken when mounted. Those I was involved with in terms of mounting were placed using screws.
dasi11

try clay

Post by dasi11 »

I have some backs I made out of clay but I have not fused with them yet. They are bisqued to 2008F. I make my mezuzzot out of all clay but glass has me interested. I fired a shape I wanted to use that is 4 1/4 inches long to handle a 4" kosher Klaf. I just have only tried some fused jewelry. I did not want to waste the glass until I have this all down. You might be able to make a clay back mold and then put kiln wash on it. Doesn't your JCC have a kiln??? the clay Dept. could fire it for you so it would be a higher fire if you kiln does not go high. I also have some gold decals I use for ceramics that I have tested in gold that have hebrew on them. I designed them myself for mezuzzot and had them made. If you are interested email me and I will send you one to try.
MarlaS

Post by MarlaS »

for molds, i've used 1/4" fiber stuff (paper? too flimsy to be a board, but don't know what it's called) that i can cut w/ scissors for my molds; doesn't last, but nice way to experiment. i double the layers it flattens a little, & single layer or even 1 1/2 layer yields a really shallow compartment.

for hanging, done 3 things: (1) drilled holes a little large directly into the glass, supplying nails a little long, (2) attached strip or shape of roof flashing to back top & bottom & drilled the holes in that, & (3) used hi fire u-shaped hooks that i twist into a loop, & place the ends between 2 layers of opaque glass, so all that shows is the not-so-pretty but utilitarian little loop at the top & bottom.
marla