Olympic Kilns

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda B

Olympic Kilns

Post by Linda B »

Hi, This is my first post here. I have been lurking for awhile. Has anyone ever used the Olympic kiln or know anything about them. I came across their web site today. They are only about 30 miles from me, which might be good if the kiln is any good. I am getting ready to buy my first kiln. I have searched the archives here and never saw this one mention. Your advise would be appricated.
Thanks
Linda B
Ron Bell

Post by Ron Bell »

Linda, my first kiln was an Olympic (I still use it) model 1814 I think. They are really known for their ceramic kilns --with side elements only-- although I understand they are now making glass units. I was/am perfectly happy with the kiln except for the obvious disadvantages of the side-only elements. I did have problems with the elements popping out of their tracks but Olympic sent new pins and I was able to fix it. I don't know what size you are looking for but for jewelry I use the RioGrande with a fulll blown digital controller for under $500 and a Jen Ken Oval-9 with an RTC-1000 for big stuff. Both are great kilns and great organizations as far as support goes. Good luck and how bout them dawgs!
Ron Bell
Black Creek Glass