Glass to fuse with float

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

PaulOz

Glass to fuse with float

Post by PaulOz »

Has anyone come across a glass that is fusible to float glass. I have seen something recently which looks like frits tack fused onto a piece of glass, however the glass is very definately float glass, and the frits look to be like a glass as well. They crush like glass and look like glass in all respects. Just was a bit intrigued and havent found anything on the net

Paul
Ian

Post by Ian »

hi
Vidriarte in Spain have a range of accessory glass for use on float. I have actually just taken a small square bowl out of the kiln on which I used all their frit colors on float and am very impressed with the results They have a web site Just do a search for Flosing Glass or Vidriarte Glass
Hope this helps
Ian
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

C&R Loo also sells frit & confetti for float http://www.crloo.com/

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Check out Armstrong Glass--their website announces a new float glass compatible line.
Deb
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Don't ecpect too much,

a friend of mine fused diiferent thicknesses of float.
It came out of the kiln OK,
but fell in pieces next day.

When float is not float compatible,
which float the float compatible is
compatible with?

-lauri
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

lauri wrote:
Clip

compatible with?

-lauri
A proclamation of despair in the human condition. I could see that on a Kathe Kollwitz poster.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

lauri wrote:Don't ecpect too much,

a friend of mine fused diiferent thicknesses of float.
It came out of the kiln OK,
but fell in pieces next day.

compatible with?

-lauri
This is why I use Ferro china paints that are compatible with all float as well as systems 90 and 96. The thin layer is friendly to all of these glasses. You can get Ferro in OZ. Sunshine and Samba series china overglaze colors. They just changed corporate hands again. I forget what they are called now. They originally were Deguza.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Brock

Post by Brock »

This is why I use Ferro china paints that are compatible with all float as well as systems 90 and 96. The thin layer is friendly to all of these glasses. You can get Ferro in OZ. Sunshine and Samba series china overglaze colors. They just changed corporate hands again. I forget what they are called now. They originally were Deguza.

I doubt very much that they are truly compatible, they are just applied thinly enough to not have enough volume to be a problem. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Same goes for Thompson enamels. I've had problems in thick applications. You can get away with a lot fusing different materials together but there is always that chance for a problem. I have one Thompson colour right now that either they sent me some wrong coe enamel or I have to apply it realllly thinly because it cracks with any colour density.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Kevin Midgley wrote:Same goes for Thompson enamels. I've had problems in thick applications. You can get away with a lot fusing different materials together but there is always that chance for a problem. I have one Thompson colour right now that either they sent me some wrong coe enamel or I have to apply it realllly thinly because it cracks with any colour density.
I quit using Thompson for that reason. Cracked up glass is not the result we are picturing. Frits are thick enough that it really matters.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Brock wrote:This is why I use Ferro china paints that are compatible with all float as well as systems 90 and 96. The thin layer is friendly to all of these glasses. You can get Ferro in OZ. Sunshine and Samba series china overglaze colors. They just changed corporate hands again. I forget what they are called now. They originally were Deguza.

I doubt very much that they are truly compatible, they are just applied thinly enough to not have enough volume to be a problem. Brock
The bottom line is that they are fused in to the glass for antiquity. That's what I would call compatible. I have done tiles where I splash on color and cook it in. The color sinks in like a full flat fuse. The surface is hard and smooth and glassy. some places colored other places clear.

If you tried to fuse a big chunk of remelted enamel on to some glass there would surely be issues, but used as directed they work. I have been successful at tempering enameled float which is always a good test for stress.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Paul, Chinapainters use an adhesive that fires to cone 022, about 1100 F, to adhere clear or colored glass beads to china. The same materials should also work on glass. The adhesive is at the bottom of the first page in the following link and the glass beads are at the top of the next page after clicking on the "more" button. http://store.thegoodstuff.com/Default.asp

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas