Total novice needs help!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Stella

Total novice needs help!

Post by Stella »

Ok...I am a complete newbie at the fusing/slumping thing (have done stained glass for years). I have tons of questions, but will start with these:

1. I used the "wash" as intructed on the bottom of my new kiln, the shelf, and a mold. The kiln bottom seems fine, but the shelf seems very, well, dusty. I'm afraid the wash didn't take. How can I be sure?

2. I am using a manual circle cutter for my glass and can't seem to get a super clean cut. Any suggestions?

That's it for now. I'm hoping to fire this baby up this week (if I get the nerve).

Thanks for all you help!!
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

aloha stella - welcome aboard.
you might tell us what kind of kilnwash it is,
and the size of your shelf.

cutting circles may take some practice. see a very good tutorial on how to do this at http://www.pattygray.com

i followed her tutorial, and the Glass Cutting Gods allowed me to cut perfect circles, even as a beginner. i was astounded. it's a cool method; go check it out.
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

After your kiln wash has been prefired it should be a little dusty. That dry kiln wash is what the glass is going to sit on top of so it doesn't stick. If its really dusty maybe you put the wash on too thick?? In that case just use a cloth to dust some of it off.
Good luck!
Amy
Stella

Post by Stella »

Thank you all for your suggestions. Kitty....that site is fantastic....I cut a perfect circle!!!
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Stella, I often work with 1/4" (6mm) float glass and have devised a simple tool to help me run the score on circles in the heavier glass. It is simply an 18" to 24" piece of hardwood dowel which I have sanded the on end to a hemispherical shape using a powered disk sander. I used a fine grit sanding disk to shape this and it burned and sealed the surface of the wood as it shaped it, leaving it dark colored and polished with a slick surface. After scoring the circle and flipping the glass over with the score resting on the bench I place the rounded end of the dowel verticaly over the score where it is farthest away from the edge of the sheet and press down with both hands on the dowel to start the score running. Then I position the dowel over the running score at an angle pushing down with my right hand and holding up the upper end with my left hand. I can then either push the dowel around the score and watch it run from the pressure or I can pull it in the opposite direction to completely run the circle score. The thicker glass makes a very satisfying "pop" when the score is completely run. I even use this with 3 mm glass and don't have a sore thumb from pressing on the glass to run the circle score. Perhaps this might help some of our members with less strength or authuritus (sp) to cut circles easier.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas