Anyone have experience with combing?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

molly

Anyone have experience with combing?

Post by molly »

I tried to comb some hot glass a few minutes ago. It did not work as I had hoped, and I have a burned finger as a result. I let the glass get to a red hot molten state, and then put on my safety glasses and a heat glove, and went after the glass with an old unbent coathanger. (pretty primitive, I know)....the coathanger stuck to the glass, and I had a heck of a time fighting off the heat enough to get the coathanger off of the glass piece, and out of the kiln. I reclosed the kiln door, and will let the piece "settle" now. I am not even sure HOW I burned my finger, but it really hurts! LOL! Any ideas on how to make the combing process easier and safer? My kiln is a top loader, so the access to the glass is easier, but the heat is really tough! Any special metal rods to make the process simpler? Thanks.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Brock

Re: Anyone have experience with combing?

Post by Brock »

Even heat gloves won't work indefinitely. You probably got burned because you were exposed to the heat too long. What you want for a good combing rod is 300 series stainless steel, about 3/16" diameter, 2' long, with a wooden handle. Bend the last 2" of the rod down at an angle from the rest of it, and grind the tip to a dull point. Every time you comb, stick the rod in a bucket of water to cool. Glass will stick to anything hot, so cooling is very important. The rest is practise and speed. Brock
molly wrote:I tried to comb some hot glass a few minutes ago. It did not work as I had hoped, and I have a burned finger as a result. I let the glass get to a red hot molten state, and then put on my safety glasses and a heat glove, and went after the glass with an old unbent coathanger. (pretty primitive, I know)....the coathanger stuck to the glass, and I had a heck of a time fighting off the heat enough to get the coathanger off of the glass piece, and out of the kiln. I reclosed the kiln door, and will let the piece "settle" now. I am not even sure HOW I burned my finger, but it really hurts! LOL! Any ideas on how to make the combing process easier and safer? My kiln is a top loader, so the access to the glass is easier, but the heat is really tough! Any special metal rods to make the process simpler? Thanks.
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Molly,

Sorry to hear that you burned yourself. There is a tremendous amount of radiant energy that comes off molten glass, so even if you didn't touch anything hot, you might have gotten a burn from the infrared radiation (a great reason to wear welding glasses too). Consider wearing two gloves as both of your hands can be exposed to the high heat.

The stainless steel rods that Brock mentioned are worth investigating as they are a thicker diameter than the coat hanger and take longer to heat up. If you have gloves on, you shouldn't need the wood handles. Unless they are done right, they tend to rotate giving you less control of the rods. I bend mine around at the end to make a T-handle to give me something to grab onto.

Visit Patty Gray's site http://www.pattygray.com for a photo demo of the combing process and detailed instructions.

Tony

The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
molly

Post by molly »

Thanks for the tips, as well as the sympathy guys! I am a bit of a clutz, so I am VERY careful around my kiln. But heck, I make handmade soap too, and am super careful with the lye, ......so far, so good. Anyhow, the "semi-combed" glass is still cooling in the kiln, so I guess I will decide if it was a success or a failure in the morning when I can open the kiln and remove my pieces. I had one piece last week, done in greens and white, that came out looking very "combed"...but it did this all by itself! That cab came out so beautiful I wrapped it in Sterling, and kept it for myself! I decided it was time to learn to comb. Guess I need mroe practice, huh? Even with the frustration and hazards, glass work is wonderful!
Lorelei

Molly

Post by Lorelei »

In case noone has told you this before, be sure to turn your kiln OFF when you're combing, or anytime you're working in the kiln with metal. Otherwise....~zap~.... no more Molly queries.
"When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President;
I'm beginning to believe it."

-- Clarence Seward Darrow (1857-1938)
molly

Post by molly »

Yes, I usually unplug the kiln from its outlet.....i fel just turning it off is not sufficient. As i said, I try to be extra careful, as I am a clutz. I went to town yesterday, looking for the stainless steel rods....Would you believe I cannot find them? There is a welding supply store near here, but they were closed. The hardware did not carry them. Guess I will have to wait before I try combing anymore...(boohoo). Will let you all know how it goes on my next attemp, though...thanks for all your help.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Molly

Sometimes you can find the stainless steel rods at Home Depot. You can also order them online from McMaster-Carr at http://www.mcmaster.com. If you order online, get the 316 stainless as it has better properties at high temperature.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
dee

Re: Anyone have experience with combing?

Post by dee »

molly wrote:I tried to comb some hot glass a few minutes ago. It did not work as I had hoped, and I have a burned finger as a result. I let the glass get to a red hot molten state, and then put on my safety glasses and a heat glove, and went after the glass with an old unbent coathanger. (pretty primitive, I know)....the coathanger stuck to the glass, and I had a heck of a time fighting off the heat enough to get the coathanger off of the glass piece, and out of the kiln. I reclosed the kiln door, and will let the piece "settle" now. I am not even sure HOW I burned my finger, but it really hurts! LOL! Any ideas on how to make the combing process easier and safer? My kiln is a top loader, so the access to the glass is easier, but the heat is really tough! Any special metal rods to make the process simpler? Thanks.
molly, i have a homemade combing tool made from a stainless tip that is removable from its wooden handle which i soak, preferably for 2 days prior to combing. i also take my kiln up to 1750 to comb as the glass is a tad more molten there - i can make about 4 quick passes with relative ease, then i have to close the lid, turn the kiln on and heat up the glass again and comb a bit more until i'm satisfied. i have a special heat resistant green fashion jacket i wear over natural fiber shirt, zatex gloves, dydimium glasses and a face sheild - i get a bit warm but no burns....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com