Critique Needed

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

KellyG

Critique Needed

Post by KellyG »

I plan on giving this as a Christmas gift to some fortunate or possibly unfortunate in my family this year. When family sees things I've done, they always say "that's beautiful", but what else can the say right. I'd like to venture beyond gift giving to possible, dare I say, income, but really would welcome constructive advice on design/color. This is something I've just recently finished and pretty typical of others I've done.

...Kelly (who's got her fingers crossed that this image/link thing will work)
http://ascensionstainedglass.com/htm/fusing2.htm
Ann Demko

critique

Post by Ann Demko »

Kelly , I Really liked your piece. Great colors, composition and balance. It connected with me right off the bat. Ann D
Mira

Post by Mira »

Kelly -

Pat yourself on the back. I really like your use of color and composition. I'd like to know more about the scale of the piece.

Some one on your x-mas list is lucky - hopefully they'll understand what's involved too.

Mira
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

KAG, I'm not a professional, but I'm a qualified glass critic by virtue of owning a keyboard.

The piece works. It's got a tension going-on in the center, and has a color dynamic going for it. It's decorative to boot. I like it.

I'll offer that I don't find it interesting enough to buy it. I have the same number of aesthetic accupuncture points as most people, and an average budget to buy art and music, but that particular piece doesn't hit those points that make me 'love it'. There are dozens of things that can take a tabletop piece beyond 'pleasant and decorative', and some of them aren't really so subjective and personal. But then again they're not formulaic enough to be able to execute them without either a lot of talent or a lot of reflection and effort. I think the fact that you're soliciting criticism outside of your family and friends is promising. I'd like to see more of your work as it develops.

Thanks for sharing.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

aloha KAG - i like the amber portion with the black (?) speckles and it's somewhat yin/yang shape, and also the mosaic bits inserted there. i like looking at that part more than the red/green quadrants or interior. may i suggest a different method of display? the stand's curlicue element attracts too much attention. alternatively, how about a base with a groove channeled in it, that the piece slides into? i like the idea of panels or plaques as pieces, especially when the base works. thanks for taking the time to show yer stuff. always interesting to see what people are up to around here. kitty.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hey Kelly,

I like the piece a lot. I like how you laid out the piece as well as the colors, very interesting. They make the eye travel around it to discover all the interesting elements.

I would agree with kitty on the base as it would help show off your piece!

Thanks for posting the photo.
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Wayne
WM Glass Studios
KellyG

Thanks for the responses

Post by KellyG »

I read on a BB sometime back where someone equated their glass creations to having a baby. It's your creation, so naturally you think it's beautiful. Others may be thinking something else entirely. Honest impressions/feedback is so valuable to me. I welcome the negative as much as the positive. The negative is much harder to give, but so valuable if the artist is seeking growth. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'd recently received the new BE Chartreuse and Sunset Coral. I really liked these two colors combined with the Olive Green and racked my brain on a way to combine the three.

Initially (upon first firing), I'd planned just the center round portion (measured about 8" round). It just didn't look finished to me. I had the green/sunset patterns bars already and decided to add the sq. border. Sometimes the problem is not knowing when to stop! The finished piece is about 12.5" sq. and was slumped into a shallow round SS mold.

I was pleased with the overall piece, but not sure I would pay $150+ for it (though it probably cost close to that to make :wink:).

Thanks again ...Kelly
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

Kelly,
Great use of color. It allows the eye to move around and pulls the viewer into the piece. I like the division in the middle with the circle off set, almost cubistic in style. Over all it is a good strong design. There are some things that I find distracting about the piece. First, I can’t really tell how thick it is. I am assuming that it is 6mm or two layers thick. I am assuming that because what I can make out of the edges, they are not sanded and finished. I like the contrast of an organic design held within finished edges. However, organic edges can and do work. In fact, I have just complete a large disc, 23â€
"Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came, and he pushed...... and they flew."
-- Christopher Logue