Help with Grinder Decision?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jon Wunderlich

Help with Grinder Decision?

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Hi all,

I was thinking of getting a standard grinder like the Glastar Super Star II with a 3/4" head, but then I saw the Diamond Max grinder w/ 6" disk & 1" head, and the Inland Twin Spin grinder w/ 5" disk & 1" head. Are these dual purpose grinders worth the extra money and which is the better of the two?

Thanks in Advance,

Jon
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I would highly recommend the Glastar All-Star--nice big work surface and has worked wonderfully for me for several years despite the fact that I have been very hard on it. I'm not familiar with the Inland grinders you mention--maybe someone else will know more about them.
Amy
Cynthia

Re: Help with Grinder Decision?

Post by Cynthia »

Jon Wunderlich wrote:Hi all,

I was thinking of getting a standard grinder like the Glastar Super Star II with a 3/4" head, but then I saw the Diamond Max grinder w/ 6" disk & 1" head, and the Inland Twin Spin grinder w/ 5" disk & 1" head. Are these dual purpose grinders worth the extra money and which is the better of the two?

Thanks in Advance,

Jon
I've had the Diamond Max for 5 years or so. It's still going strong and I love it. I rarely use the barrel grinder bit and use the disk the majority of the time. You can get different grits on the disks from fast to fine and it's one of my favorite tools. I go there before my WBS for small and quick edges.

When I bought mine the Diamond Max had a 5 year warranty which beat the warranty on the others, and I wanted the disk. I haven't regretted it. The downside used to be that only one of my wholesalers carried DTI stuff, so getting replacement disks and barrel grinding bits was a bit limiting. Other than that, I'll replace it with the same machine when the time comes.
glass1

Post by glass1 »

I would definitely opt for the Glastar. They are practically trouble free and will give you years of service. If you need the added benefits of disc grinders, etc., then, purchase individual units to do those jobs.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i've got the Max with the drip system. works well, and i thought the price was OK. i primarily use the disk, but sometimes the head. i'm using it for grinding larger jewelry pieces. sorry i cant provide any comparison info for you about the Max versus the other choices.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

3 yrs. ago I bought the Diamond Max also for the disc & it has been very good for me even though I use the head more than the disc. Bought it at Delphi as the first order was 20% off. They still have the coupon in the catalogs or just ask for the first time discount, if they still do that. Believe they have a 6 yr. warrenty.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I have Glastars and Inlands and would advise you get the biggest Glastar (G8). Biggest difference between them is that the Glastar has the abiliity to pump water up to the optional 1/4 or 1/8" head, so you're not struggling with sponges to keep the head wet. If you're going to use the smaller heads this is a very useful feature. In all other respects there is not much difference.
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Thanks everyone,

It sounds like the Diamond Max and the Glastar are both good reliable grinders. I will be using it primarily for rounding out pieces, (like pot melts).

Jon