Phil's Kiln

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jackie Beckman

Phil's Kiln

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Hey Phil - your kiln looks so fabulous. Really, why don't you take more pictures of the entire shop and email them to me. I'll post them for you. I know everyone would love to see what an amazing job you've done. Truly - it's come along so beautifully! (When are we getting our glory hole??!!)

Jackie
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Thanks Jackie. I'll send a few more when the elements are in. Hmm.....let's see now on the glory hole....Matt's got to finish the Lap Grinder which should take us to the summer so maybe about a year from right now. Come On Roll-Ups!!!

Cheers,

Phil

PS - Just had our first snow this morning. All gone by lunch but it was neat for a few hours there!!
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Yes!! I wouldn't mind seeing more. Looks like patience played a part in fabricating the kiln and setting up shop. Must be great knowing where everything is, my goal is to know that feeling one day. - Haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Phil,

From the pictures it looks like you're using silica cloth along the base of your bell. FYI, it shrinks about 10% during the first firing.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Tony,

Well the material is sold as refrasial. There was no mention of shrinkage on the datasheets but I'll see what it does. The way it is fastened I can loosen it on the bottom end inside the kiln where the bowties attach it. Not sure what it would do on the long axis. It is very nice stuff. Keeps the dust down and makes a good seal. I'll let you know if the shrinkage is a problem. I pulled it fairly snug when I put it in but like I said if I have to I can loosen it up and readjust it. Given you input I may do that before the first firing. Thanks,

Phil
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I've been using silica cloth for awhile to get texture on my bowls and Marty Daily at Centre DeVerre is now selling Silica Cloth. He was the one that mentioned to me that it shrinks significantly. It will probably extend the life of the fabric is you loosen it up for the first couple of firings, then pull it up snug.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun