SS molds

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Deb DeForest

SS molds

Post by Deb DeForest »

I read in the archives that just about anything stainless can be used as a mold so I bought some great SS bowls. I am guessing that I need to drill air vent holes in them prior to use, is that right?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Think about where the glass will touch the mold last and drill holes there; 1/8" is plenty, 3 or 4 should suffice for a medium size mold (to 14", roughly). Get a good drill bit- ss is hard, and use oil in the hole when you drill. Make sure the holes won't be sealed by the surface the mold will sit on.
Roughen the surface (I sandblast), heat the mold to 350F or so, take out hot and spray a more dilute kilnwash than usual (5 or 6 to 1 instead of 4 or 5 to 1). When you see water spots, put it back in the kiln or oven and reheat/ respray until you've got a good coating of wash. Fire-n-go.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

On the ss arch molds I've made I just use a hair dryer to dry the kiln wash. They are too big to be lifting in and out of the kiln all the time.

Amy
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I don't blast my forms and they work fine, and hold the wash for many, many firings. I use a propane torch to heat them, though at one time I used the in and out of kiln approach. Torch is easier and faster. Most of my bowl and dish forms don't have holes as I'm not slumping hot enough to get a seal between glass and metal. I'd do some test slumps to see if it's a problem for the work you do.
starchimes (Andrea)

Post by starchimes (Andrea) »

Do you guys that have bought stainless steel ever worry that their may be some additive in it. Are they okay as long as they say stainless steel on them?
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

There are many different alloys of stainless, but I've never had a problem with stainless kitchenware, counter material, or industrial sheet stainless. I think the differences are related to strength and workability, and less to corrosion resistance.