slumping overhang

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tom suter

slumping overhang

Post by tom suter »

I am getting ready to slump and oval platter 12" across by 9". Right now it is 3 layers thick about .300 and I have a 1/4" overhang. I have never slump with an overhang do you think this is too much of an overhang and that I should cold work it and get it down closer. :?:

Thanks
Tom
Head Fool @ Tom's Foolery
http://www.picturetrail.com/tomsfoolery
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Tom,

Should be fine. Slump at the lowest temperature possible to minimize the mark that the rim of the mold will leave on the back of the piece.

Cheers,

Bob
charlie

Post by charlie »

however, if it does slump a little over the edge, when it cools down, the contracting glass can shatter your mold. damhikt.

for 1/4", i'd probably risk it. however, i have a bowl form that i wheel threw; or actually, i have half of one, on my mold shelf.
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

Is it better to slump lower for longer to not pick up the texture?
Stephie
Stephie
Brock

Post by Brock »

Stephie wrote:Is it better to slump lower for longer to not pick up the texture?
Stephie
Yes. Try 1150 for 30 minutes. Check it. Brock
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

One rule of thumb is that an overhang that is the same dimension as the thickness of the glass is OK. You can stretch it a bit more with pretty good luck.

I always try to get the job done with lower temp and more time, until impatience sets in and I bump up the temp to get it over with...
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions