marker .. burns off?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bonnie Rubinstein

marker .. burns off?

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

This has probably been asked before, but I could not find in archives.. will a sharpee (permanent) marker burn off when fusing,
without residue ?

Thanks, friends..
Bonnie
Bonnie Rubinstein
Brock

Post by Brock »

Not necessarily. If you're making a small piece, no problem.

If you're making a large expensive labour intensive piece . . . .

. . . it'll leave a mark. Brock
Bev Brandt

Post by Bev Brandt »

Brock wrote:Not necessarily. If you're making a small piece, no problem.

Sharpie's Law?

- Bev
Bev Brandt
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Brock wrote:Not necessarily. If you're making a small piece, no problem.

Other factors are if you have a deadline, and the glass you are using is a special order, or out of stock.

I use black sharpie's and they've always fired off cleanly, but I run with scissors too. :-s

Best advice is 'better safe than sorry'.
Bonnie Rubinstein

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

Okay, gang, it is a larger piece.. a special order, and I'm under a time crunch..
I get the message.... don't want to take the risk..
But I didn't want that to be the answer! Got my job cut out for me tonight!!

thanks...
Bonnie
Bonnie Rubinstein
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

and the new silver sharpie is the worst... it takes a solvent to get it off, and any left behind fuses into the glass leaving a silver mark... maybe it can be used for design elements.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

It can be Tony-The gold one too.
molly

Post by molly »

That's what I was thinking! The metallic sharpies should be very useful for jewelry designs! Gotta get some soon!
Gale aka artistefem

Gold/Silver marker Question

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Tony or should I say Tony(s), are the gold and silver markers formulated with real precious metals? Will they stay intact like the Hanovia gold or wil they stain like our good old friend silver?

If I applied one of these metal colored markers to my glass project and laid the glass -decorated side down- against the kiln shelf, would it leave a bleeding stain that contaminates the kiln shelf?
Tony Smith

Re: Gold/Silver marker Question

Post by Tony Smith »

Gale aka artistefem wrote:Tony or should I say Tony(s), are the gold and silver markers formulated with real precious metals? Will they stay intact like the Hanovia gold or wil they stain like our good old friend silver?

If I applied one of these metal colored markers to my glass project and laid the glass -decorated side down- against the kiln shelf, would it leave a bleeding stain that contaminates the kiln shelf?
Gale

I'm not sure as I didn't fired it face down. I just know that I was using it to trace a pattern for cutting on my bandsaw, and I didn't get all of the marker off near the edge and it was still there after firing. The big question was if it was still silver after firing or was it just white?... not sure either. I think this calls for a quick experiment.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Just what I was thinking. Will throw a bunch of marker tests in with the next glue run. My experience with the gold and silver markers is that they don't stay their pre fired color, but turn brownish. Never tried face down, and don't know what they use to get the color. I do know they use some rather nasty solvents and you should use them with good ventilation. In case there is silver in the marker, I would hesitate in doing a face down firing, unless it were on paper.
SAReed

Post by SAReed »

Tony Smith wrote:and the new silver sharpie is the worst... it takes a solvent to get it off, and any left behind fuses into the glass leaving a silver mark... maybe it can be used for design elements.

Tony
I used the silver Sharpie to mark on BE gold purple. To clean the glass I put it in extremely hot soapy water and let it soak for 5 minutes or so. I used a soapy rag to wipe the glass and all of the silver came off. I have fused the pieces and there isn't any sign of residue.
Stacey
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I use either soy oil or wd40 to get the paint marker off. In a pinch, nose grease will do!
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I use Goof-Off. If the ventilation is adequate, it's not too bad. If there's no ventilation, it can be pretty nasty stuff.

Tony
Chip

Post by Chip »

Nose grease????? :shock:
Chip
Micah 6.8
Brock

Post by Brock »

Chip wrote:Nose grease????? :shock:
http://www.dermnetnz.org/index.html
MarlaS

cleaning silver sharpie

Post by MarlaS »

i just use a little windex on a chunk of 1/4 inch thick fiber paper/blanket & it rubs right off.