Mica Paint Pixture

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tyler Frisby

Mica Paint Pixture

Post by Tyler Frisby »

Im playing with Mica Paint (air brushed)and was wondeing if anyone out there in Cyber
land has played with them ?

I have Inca Gold , Super skarkle and Super Bronxe colours.
I've seen the samples at Kaliedo witth black BE then Inca gold then clear on top, it looked awsome . the guy there said the guy who did it put on 20 coats !!! Wow, It did look sweet though. :)

Distiller water ? If I should even use water ?

Wait for Paint to dry before I apply new coat ?

Best Glass To use it on?

Best way to clean glass first ?

And What would be the best stencil to use I've tried an adhesive styrafoam but it leaks under the Porus Foam. Frustrated i was today.

Help If anyone can Please, Thanks Aheada time
Tyler
pclark

Post by pclark »

Tyler,

There are a lots of posts in the archives regarding mica's. I think 20 coats maybe to much but, whatever it takes to get a good even coating. Usually I have done 6 coats. I use Isopropyl alchohol to mix my powders. The I fire to around 1375 for about 10 minutes or so. Mica's show up best on darker colors such as black. Do a search on Mica or Pearl-Ex in the archives and you will come up with a lot of posts. You can also search for Ron Coleman and Avery Anderson. They have posted to a lot of questions and have given really good information in the past.
Oh! Yes... Wait for it to dry before a new coat which with the alchohol shouldn't be to long.
Good Luck.

Paul
Michael McNerney

Post by Michael McNerney »

Tyler,
No, Isopropyl alchohol to mix my powders
Yes, I use from 8 to 15 coats
Bullseye
(just my favorite)
Soap and Water
Shelf paper or Cheep Contact Paper
(very easy to transfer design or picture on to)

You can see my applications!

http://groups.msn.com/McNerneyGlassAblbum/shoebox.msnw

Good Luck and check the archives.
Michael
Michael McNerney

Post by Michael McNerney »

Tyler,
I hand draw my designs right on to the shelf paper then cutwith an exacto knife.
does that answer your question?

Michael
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

i Wish It did , what do you mean on the Shelf paper you mean you Use it as a Stencil ?
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Yes, Contact shelf paper. I use the clear. Since I can't draw I cut a 8.5 x 11 sheet and run it though my inkjet printer, then cut out the design with scissors and/or knife (I like scalpels).

The Hobbyist..........................Jim
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Hi Tyler:.........I'm the one who made those small squares you saw at Kaliedo...I do use 18 to 20 coats but there is no waiting. I spray with airbrush in one hand and hot hair dryer in the other hand. The stuff dries as fast as you spray it on.I use Klr-fire for the spray medium (you can get that at Kaliedo). when done spraying I hold hair dryer maybe 5 min. just to be sure all is dry. Good luck with your experiments. Don
"The Glassman"
Don Burt

Re: Mica Paint Pixture

Post by Don Burt »

Tyler Frisby wrote: clip
And What would be the best stencil to use
clip
Not sure where you're headed with your airbrush, but if its going to be a primary tool for your artwork, you'll build up a collection of generic shape stencils made out of acetate, or plastic ones bought from airbrush specialty shops. You can buy stencil burners to accurately tease shapes out of acetate sheets. There are low tack adhesive stencils that can be cut with a knife or stencil burner. You can spend thousands for computer signmaking equip to automatically create stencils from vector art. You can use found items and fabric. If you start to enjoy using the airbrush., you'll want to read Radu Vero's technique book and read the handful of monthly airbrush magazines.