Cold Working

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kim Bellis

Cold Working

Post by Kim Bellis »

Does anyone know of a good book or video that explains in detail how to cold work?
Happy Holidays!!
Kim
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Kim,

I've never seen a book or video on the topic, but I think it would be very useful.

Experts??? Are you listening???

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Brock

Post by Brock »

Ed Schmid has been working on one for some time now. Brock
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Perhaps, next time someone from the board does some cold working they could video tape what they are doing. I'd be happy to pay for your time and expertise!! It doesn't have to be professional - just something that gives me an idea.

Thanks
Kim
slats

video

Post by slats »

I would buy a tape as well!!!!!
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

You can't learn much by watching somebody cold work. You have to do it and screw it up and do it again. You have to feel how the glass is reacting to the abrasive to know if you are holding it correctly. You have to be able to look closely at the surface and know whether it is time to go on to the next grit or stay where you are. You have to develop habits and strategies for keeping your work, clothes and work areas clean. You have to understand that you are going to be very slow at it at first, then gain in speed and quality.

I am, frankly, terrible at it. It is amazing how many different ways there are of accomplishing the same thing. Three different people will use three different machines and three different sequences of grits.

BTW, Irene Frolic is teaching an interesting class at Pilchuck this summer. The idea is that you arrive with a raw cast glass piece ready to be cold worked. You start the session cold working that piece, then go through the process of casting a new piece, keeping cold working in mind as part of the design and casting process. http://www.pilchuck.com

ch
Brock

Post by Brock »

I totally agree Charlie, practise is the key. It's all about learning a process, then getting more proficient and faster at the process. I used to say I didn't like cold working, but I don't think I can say that anymore.

I equate it to sandblasting in a booth in a suit with an air-fed hood. After awhile, you get into the Zen of it, and time passes . . . .

Brock
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Thanks Charlie and Brock for the advice. I have a shelf full of items that did not pass muster - what I will do is just start practicing on them. If I understand correctly, I will want to start with a low grit then end with a high grit. All I have (at the moment) is a table top sander, I assume I can use it - just take it slow and keep dunking my piece in a bucket of water?
Thanks
Kim
PS: The dream is to take classes at Pilchuck - I will check out the courses - I am always up for a holiday!!