Information on Jewels production?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Hugo Gavarini

Information on Jewels production?

Post by Hugo Gavarini »

Hello,

I am seeking for books or information dealing with Jewels production as a warmglass technique. I would like to study technical procedures, challenges, design trends, etc..

I intend making warm glass pieces to be used in jewelry production like earrings, necklaces and so. (We call it "bijouterie").

Any information on the topic will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Hugo
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

do you mean glass jewels that will be faceted, like diamonds, for instance?
or do you mean fused glass pieces that are smooth, and will be incorporated into jewelry?

if you mean standard fused glass jewelry production, that's what i do. i'd be happy to share methods with you, Hugo, if you ask me specific questions. i've seen some articles and craft books about making fused glass jewelry, but there doesnt seem to be very much available.

i make four different earring styles, several variations of necklace pendants, and bracelets. the earrings have sterling silver posts glued on with epoxy. the dangle earrings have a nichrome wire fused into the glass, which is later made into a loop so the earring can hang on a silver wire from the ear lobe.

design trends vary depending on market. for example, larger earrings sell well in museum shops and galleries, but not as well in other stores. in general, smaller earrings and pendants sell better. the younger the woman, the smaller the jewelry she wears.

i'm leaving for christmas vacation dec. 22, and will be sort of on and off my computer for two weeks, so my replies might take a few days.

Feliz Navidad
Kitty