Dead element?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Christyn Mattson

Dead element?

Post by Christyn Mattson »

Hi, everyone! I was firing today using my digital controller and the temp was at 1350 or so ramping up. Just a few minutes later, I looked at it and the temp was at 1250 and dropping. I checked the glass and it was only partially rounded, not even barely tack fused.

I re-programmed and started the cycle again but the temp continued to drop. The kiln power light was on and yet the temp was dropping. Does this mean my element has gone out? If so, this would be my first experience with it. Does this sound right or is something else going on?

Christyn
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Several things could have caused this to happen...among them...there could be a problem with your controller, a problem with the connection between your controller and the kiln, a burned out element, a burned out connector between the element and the wiring.

If you don't know how to check for and repair these things yourself, you may want to find a kiln repair person to help you with this.

With my kiln, the most frequent thing that has caused a bank of elements not to work is a burned out element. But there have been times when it was the wiring or the connector. There were also several occasions when the relay in my controller burned out. I can deal with diagnosing and repairing problems with elements and wiring and connectors on the kiln I have, but not a problem with the controller. For that, i have to get an "expert" to diagnose and fix it. They way I know there's a problem with the controller is by eliminating the other things that I can fix.

Good luck!

Geri
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

you might have a bad relay... even if you have more than one, that would explain your sudden temperature drop.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

A quick check: empty kiln, close lid, fire afap for 5 min, TURN OFF KILN, carefully open lid and observe element(s). All elements should be glowing. Problems are associated with elements not glowing. Run continuity tests on dark elements with volt/ohm meter. If element is ok check relay in controler for that element.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas