Why bumpy Dicroic glass ?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

twinkler2

Why bumpy Dicroic glass ?

Post by twinkler2 »

Happy New Year gang o' glass !

I had a friend visit who I showed how to do a plate in my studio. I let her choose the glass and do her own design. First time I had showed anyone what I have been doing with my free time:) After firing and slumping it looked pretty cool, however she asked me a question about why the dicroic glass doesn't smooth out as the other glass did? I didn't know the answer to that one javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
any help on that one? I don't use the Dicro glass in the pieces I have done

Thanks
Me Kim
Alecia Helton

why bumpy Dichroic glass?

Post by Alecia Helton »

Me Kim,

It might help if you give us a little more information. What kind of dichroic glass did your friend use? Was the glass smooth or did it have a raised pattern? Was the dichroic glass the same depth as the rest of the glass in the plate?

Tell us a little more and we can probably help you out.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
J. Savina

Post by J. Savina »

It's the coating that prevent the glass from slumping smooth. I also experienced the same thing with iridized granite glass. If you want it smooth, you need to cover the dichroic or iridized glass with a sheet of clear, or if it's clear dichroic, face the coated side down. J.
Jeanette S. Cobb
J. Savina Stained Glass Studio
Tim Swann

Post by Tim Swann »

Both iridized and dichroic coatings cause the glass surface they are on to have a higher surface tension. The higher surface tension keeps the glass from flattening out, and will in fact cause it to have a curved surface.

Tim