steel thickness mold Q?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rosanna gusler

steel thickness mold Q?

Post by rosanna gusler »

hi all. i need to make some mold forms. i am working on table tops. i want to do various edge drapes . what thickness of steel do you think would work? i have some 1/4" stock that i have had cut but i think that might be (probably is) overkill. so iguess what i want to know is ....what is the minimum thickness that you think (know ) would work. assuming a well supported piece of steel in the kiln for a slump. rosanna
Brock

Post by Brock »

I wouldn't go below a well supported 14 gauge. Brock
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

so...14 gage = .075 inch =a little more than 1/16 inch? math challenged. rosanna
Brock

Post by Brock »

rosanna gusler wrote:so...14 gage = .075 inch =a little more than 1/16 inch? math challenged. rosanna
Yeah, somewhere in there. Brock
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Rosanna

I have no experience with large steel molds. I use fiber board, with or without blanket.

For steel, I would imagine that you need to bend the edges for strength and possibly include some inner support system. Warpage is the problem you need to solve.

If you have the thicker steel and want to use it, you could try covering it with 1/2" blanket. That will create your surface and insulate the steel. Add powders until you have the surface you like.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Rosanna, I'm not exactly sure I understand what you want to do. It sounds like you want to support a kilnwashed piece of steel above the kiln shelf with glass extending out past the edges of the steel and do a slump firing to bend the edges of the glass down past the steel mold then remove the glass from the mold and use it as a table top. The size of the mold and perhaps even the thickness of the glass you propose to use would need to be known to give a meaningful answer. It might be possible to cut a mullite kiln shelf or a fiber board shelf 1 to 2" smaller than your steel mold to support it and use thinner steel than if you used only steel directly on only shelf posts. I would be more afraid of warping problems with large pieces of just steel.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Brock

Post by Brock »

rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

thanks brock! great shock pic. my tops are WAY smaller than that. however....barring bad hurricaines this summer i will have me a 4'x8' firing surface to play with by november. anyhow i found a nice sheet of 1/8" steel yesterday. it feels like the tool for the job. i will take it to the metal shop tomorrow and put it through their shear. i guess i go the metal route because there are so many metal shops in wanchese. instant gratification. i draw it, they cut/bend it. rosanna
BobB

Post by BobB »

Great link Brock. That's the first time I've seen a "walk in kiln". :D

It didn't say if she was using tempered glass or not. I wonder since she's sandblasting before slumping if that caused stress in the glass and the one tabletop to break.

Just thinking out loud.

BobB
Brock

Post by Brock »

It wouldn't be tempered. The problem appears to be thermal shock, although blasting the glass may have contributed to that. There's a guy here in town who has a dozen kilns that size, and larger. Brock