mould making for novice = 0 responses ?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

camaro

mould making for novice = 0 responses ?

Post by camaro »

As of 1/6/04 I see that there have been 53 lookers yet no one has responded. I realize its a pain in the @*!!! to help newbies, but give me a break!!!!!!!
camaro

I'm learning alot from this board, most are very friendly and helpful and others are guarding their GOLD.

Thanks for nothing.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I expect that you didn't get a reply because those who know enough about casting or have relevant answers may not have read your post yet.

I read alot of posts to see what I can learn and not necesarily because I can offer an answer. So all those hits may just be from curiosity lurkers.

I have some mold making experience, but what I've done was learned in a class (too long ago for me to have any confidence that I can impart good info) or from the Boyce book you have.

Hang in there. Someone may have some tips for you. Until then you might want to search for mold making instructions outside of the glass world or give it a shot on the Craftsweb. Casting processes and mold making for glass are the same or similar as making a mold for plaster, slip casting, bronze and so on.

If I could help you I would, but the best advice I can offer is to do a little more research and wait for a reply. I don't believe that helping newbies is a pain in the ass, and I believe most here are happy to share.

You also might want to post a separate header for the different questions you have. A separate post asking for suggestions for a permanent mold mix vs. process questions might be helpful in getting some response.
Brock

Post by Brock »

First of all, nobody HAS to answer your question. Many people share their knowledge here for whatever reason, but nobody HAS to respond.

In your original post you stated that you had 2 books on fusing/mold making. Lots of people have learned from those two books, (Lundstrom / Walker) and it's a lot more help than many of us had when we started.
There are many other book on mold making, not necesarily for kiln forming, but the proceduresare the same or similar in other fields.
There is no BEST permanent mold making material, individual circumstances/exigencies dictate a type of mold material.

What you seem to be asking for is someone to do the work for you.

Do your own work, get on Google or Amazon and find the informtion you need. Practice! Come back with informed questions, and you will get help.

Your questions were too vague, and too much work for a casual response.

Brock
Doug Randall

Re: mould making for novice = 0 responses ?

Post by Doug Randall »

camaro wrote:As of 1/6/04 I see that there have been 53 lookers yet no one has responded. I realize its a pain in the @*!!! to help newbies, but give me a break!!!!!!!
camaro

I'm learning alot from this board, most are very friendly and helpful and others are guarding their GOLD.

Thanks for nothing.
I agree with Brock, its deplorable that you are so demanding for the information that has already been repeatably discussed here on the board for the last 3 years. Do some work, go to the archives...its all there. Read some books on the subject, buy some supplies and try doing it....Do your homework...and you WILL have some valid questions after that. Thats is how we earned our GOLD.
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Camaro
I think your latest posting here is very rude. I just looked at all your postings and they are all questions. Except for one glue response and one "I know but I can't say anything" response. I agree with Brock and furthermore if this is how you respond to disappointment or rejection then you have developed an interest in a medium that will certainly force you to grow up. Glass is going to kick your ass and it doesn't give two little toots about who you are or what you want.
And you have no "thank you" postings- except for this one.
You are welcome for nothing.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.