recycled/float/window glass class recommendation?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

suzanne

recycled/float/window glass class recommendation?

Post by suzanne »

hi there

I am looking any recommendations for a good fusing class that specifically deals with recycled, window or float glass. Things that will cover; figuring out the COE, and then the proper heat up, anneal, cool down cycle, special considerations when using this glass, etc..

Or , if anyone can recommend some good text books or instruction manuals etc that deal with window glass (I have scoured the bulletin board and archives) that would be cool too!

I'm hoping to take a course sometime in the very near future or will hold out till mid/year end if there is a really good one that can be recommended.

Thanks kindly

Suzanne
Brock

Post by Brock »

I think your best bet would be Bert. Brock
jolly

Post by jolly »

Make a shrine to Bert and worship daily. I have learned so much from Bert on this site that the shrine gets larger all the time. However, I started by assuming float glass does most things at 100 degrees hotter. It is a start, then get a bunch of free windows (I put an ad in the local paper), then go wild in your experiments. -Jolly
Brock

Post by Brock »

There's also usually a float glass class at HGH. See sponsors. Brock
Bert Weiss

Re: recycled/float/window glass class recommendation?

Post by Bert Weiss »

suzanne wrote:hi there

I am looking any recommendations for a good fusing class that specifically deals with recycled, window or float glass. Things that will cover; figuring out the COE, and then the proper heat up, anneal, cool down cycle, special considerations when using this glass, etc..

Or , if anyone can recommend some good text books or instruction manuals etc that deal with window glass (I have scoured the bulletin board and archives) that would be cool too!

I'm hoping to take a course sometime in the very near future or will hold out till mid/year end if there is a really good one that can be recommended.

Thanks kindly

Suzanne
Suzanne

You don't say where you are from. I am teaching a 3 day workshop covering glass enameling with the Ferro Sunshine series of enamels, coming up soon in Hillsboro Oregon. I don't know about enrollment right now so I would check the classifieds and contact the Groths who are hosting the class.

The best way to"recycle" float glass is to enamel on it. This creates a new surface, void of scratches...

I much prefer working with 3/8" new float glass for my personal work, but I've been around the block with salvage glass and it is possible to work with it. The annealing and firing schedules are fairly straight forward for any float glass I have encountered.

Glass is always compatible with itself. Cut up a sheet and stack it up. Different sheets are a crap shoot. I have good luck with glass the same thickness from the same manufacturer. I have worked with incompatible glasses, they break.

Bert
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

OLD window glass may not be "float." My general guess is that the change-over is post 1950 in much of the US.

I was given some old window glass to play with, and couldn't master the technique of finding the tin side with a UV light. Then I bought some new window glass at Lowes - and had no trouble.

I will repeat the advice - mixing sheets is a crap shoot - particularly if they are from different buildings, eras, factories, etc. Six sheets from the same crate of new glass are not likely to be a problem, however.
Wally Venable, Student of glass
Lisa W.

float glass

Post by Lisa W. »

I took a float glass class in DC at the Washington Glass School.
202-546-8235. They do have a web site too. .Believe it is yahoo
I also agree with Jolly and use Bert as my favorite mentor.
suzanne

recycle glass classes

Post by suzanne »

Thanks for all the info. You guys rock!

I love this board!

Cheers to all

Suzanne