Best Tent for outdoor shows

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Denise M.

Best Tent for outdoor shows

Post by Denise M. »

Hi! For the past several years my husband and I have been using a Craft Hut tent. It's worked very well. We recently saw a Showoff tent by New Venture Products, Inc. The tent is easier to set up and offers great skylights. I'm wondering if anyone knows about its reliablity. Since I may have to set it up by myself, (and have a little trouble with the Craft Hut) I'm leaning toward the Showoff. But I don't want to sacrifice durability and stability. Any views on the Showoff would be appreciated. Tnanks.

Denise
jeremy bizzano

Post by jeremy bizzano »

Hi Denise,
We appear to be neighbors. ;) I just started doing some art festivals here in town and have a white EZ UP tent. It's ok but nothing special. In my first show some of the other artists said they're known as "EZ UP, EZ BLOW AWAY". Ha ha. They told me some really good tents were the Finale and the Light-Dome, you can check them out here, http://www.lightdomecanopies.com/. They're considerably more but much higher quality. I was also told some of the higher end fine art festivals actually required these. Or at least didn't allow the EZ UPs.
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Denise,

I agree with Jeremy, I talked with different artist at shows last year. I liked the light dome best. They have two styles. The one with a curved top was my favorite becasue the rain will run off to the sides of your booth. The other style the rain will run off on all four sides, and on your customers. I talked to one woman artist that travels and set up by her self and she said this is the best one she has ever used.........Claudia
CBMyriad

Post by CBMyriad »

Hi Denise-
I've been doing outdoor shows using the Showoff Dome for 10 years and it has proven to have been a very worthwhile purchase. Never a leak and very easy to put up and take down...I do always have help, however.
When the time comes, I will definately purchase another "Showoff".
No affilliation, just a very satisfied customer!
Carole :D
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I've had a Light Dome for 5 or 6 years, I think. At 5'6", I can assemble it alone. Someone who's shorter than I am might have difficulty putting it up alone.

Before you purchase another canopy, you might want to try assembling some of them to see how difficult it is.

If you decide to go to a Light Dome, I'd strongly suggest that you follow their instructions for making appropriate weights. I did a show about 1.5 years ago where someone didn't weight their canopy correctly (I believe they only weighted the back and not the front) and it flipped over on its top in a sudden wind gust. The artist in the next booth was seriously injured when it hit him in the head.

Geri
dee

Re: Best Tent for outdoor shows

Post by dee »

Denise M. wrote:Hi! For the past several years my husband and I have been using a Craft Hut tent. It's worked very well. We recently saw a Showoff tent by New Venture Products, Inc. The tent is easier to set up and offers great skylights. I'm wondering if anyone knows about its reliablity. Since I may have to set it up by myself, (and have a little trouble with the Craft Hut) I'm leaning toward the Showoff. But I don't want to sacrifice durability and stability. Any views on the Showoff would be appreciated. Tnanks.

Denise
hi denise, like geri, i'm 5'6" and have a lightdome that i set up by myself - it's the one i recommend - a friend who is now a flamework artist has had one for 10+ years and swears by it also, she was a potter who injured her back and this was the canopy she could setup/breakdown/carry by herself after recovering from her back injury - they may have skylights you can order when buying one new. for weights, i have 4 40lb barbells that i use, the tie straps hook around them very nicely and i can carry them when i can't find some strong man to help at shows - hubby can't go with me - plus i will stake down at least 2 feet, opposite corners, depending on predicted weather and constraints on staking...

i stay nice and dry if the weather misbehaves, my top isn't sagging with water deposits and if it's cold and windy, i stay somewhat warm
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

Hi Dee,

I looked at the two styles that Creative Energies carries. I really like the look and extra height that the Finale has. Have you ever heard much discussion about the differences? Did you get the awnings with yours? I thought that would help to create shade so the glass is not as hot. How about when it rains, do you find that the front of your canopy dumps water on customers? That is one concern that I look at, if you have the awning how does that work? Do you have one of their banners?
I got to borrow a canopy last year for shows, I was lucky. I did not like the one I borrowed as it was to hard to set up by myself. I am ready to buy either the Light Dome or the Finale for the coming season and any advice or feed back on my concerns would help........Thanks Claudia
Denise M.

Post by Denise M. »

Thank you all for your responses. I'm 5'2 and have trouble with our current Craft Hut. I'm going to do some more research, but now I feel more confident about the Showoff.
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

jeremy bizzano wrote:Hi Denise,
We appear to be neighbors. ;) I just started doing some art festivals here in town and have a white EZ UP tent. It's ok but nothing special. In my first show some of the other artists said they're known as "EZ UP, EZ BLOW AWAY". Ha ha. They told me some really good tents were the Finale and the Light-Dome, you can check them out here, http://www.lightdomecanopies.com/. They're considerably more but much higher quality. I was also told some of the higher end fine art festivals actually required these. Or at least didn't allow the EZ UPs.
I witnessed an EZUP (with 2-5gal water jugs bungied to each leg) withstand a storm in the desert that completely demolished our camp and lifted a 14 foot boat with motor completely out of the water. 3/4" rocks were flying like hail. It was a very serious event. I have since bought an EZUP for my shows. Any idea which shows won't allow my EZUP?

Jack