glass slumping

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nevestcefrep

glass slumping

Post by Nevestcefrep »

I've never done glass slumping before but seems really interesting.
I'm a teacher and want to teach it to my classes.
I was wondering what basic matirials do I need to get started.
Basically, I can buy or make ceramic molds.
I have kiln wash, do I always have to use that or anything else
with it?
and what tempurature do you usually use to melt the glass..
one last question. I have pieces of glass, do they have to
be melted into a one continuous flat piece before slumping it
into a bowl or somthing? If there are great books out there, I'll
take suggestions.
Thank you for any help!!!
charlie

Post by charlie »

see the tutorial at the top of the page for a start. you could get brad's book, which is sold on this site.
Cynthia

Re: glass slumping

Post by Cynthia »

Nevestcefrep wrote:I've never done glass slumping before but seems really interesting.
I was wondering what basic matirials do I need to get started.
Basically, I can buy or make ceramic molds.
I have kiln wash, do I always have to use that or anything else
with it?
and what tempurature do you usually use to melt the glass..
one last question. I have pieces of glass, do they have to
be melted into a one continuous flat piece before slumping it
into a bowl or somthing? If there are great books out there, I'll
take suggestions.
Thank you for any help!!!
Are you a gambler, or nearly a 10? :wink:

You'll need a kiln, compatible glass, cutting tools, kiln wash, patience and passion. AND before you teach it, you should probably learn it well. The most basic material you will need first is some knowlege/education. Buy "Contemporary Warm Glass" by Brad Walker first. You can order it from this site and it's a good solid basic fusing book. Read it. Do some of the projects to get a feel for things like volume control, annealing, fusing vs. bending vs. tack fuse temps, devitrification, coefficients of expansion, glass types and firing schedules for size, C.O.E....There's a lot you need to know in order to end up with a successful end result.

Good luck
Carol B

Re: glass slumping

Post by Carol B »

[quote="Nevestcefrep"]I've never done glass slumping before but seems really interesting.

Wow that is a big ambition. I have been a weekend fuser for a year or so and I have a small library on the subject. Since I discovered this sight 6 months ago I have been a daily visitor - soaking up a wealth of information. And yet I do not feel confidant posting a picture, let alone teaching a class.

Good Luck to you.
Lynn Bishop

Post by Lynn Bishop »

About 10 years ago, before I started fusing, there was an article in "School Arts" about a high school teacher teaching glass, using the pottery kiln and single strength glass. It was an inspiring article, one that got me started fusing with my middle school students. Since it's been so long, I can't remember the details anymore, but the student made a plaster mold of a face, then slumped 3 layers of single strength glass over the face mold. The layers weren't lined up, but placed at different angles.

Many projects can be done in the classroom with float glass, fiber paper scraps, and clay. Before attempting to teach, however, it's best to become very familiar with the projects yourself. It's more complex than it first looks.
Marty

Post by Marty »

"perfect seven"? seven what? And where?
Simple slumping for your class isn't rocket science (that comes later).
How about taking a basic fusing class first?