Another good place for kiln formed glass classes

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Brock

Another good place for kiln formed glass classes

Post by Brock »

I just wanted to let everyone know about Arrowmont:

http://www.arrowmont.org/

Avery and I taught there last year, and the new Director, an old glassie from the '70s, asked us to provide a list of equipment that they would need to be a well equipped glass studio.

They went out and bought what we suggested. Two Skutt Clamshell kilns (GM22CS) and ONE GM 1414 kiln, a Wet Belt Sander, and a dedicated sandblasting cabinet for the glass studio only. They already had a few large kilns and some hot boxes.

They're not going to rival Vitrum for equipment any time soon, but they have enough to handle a decent sized class now. It'a a multi-media craft school, teaching various different crafts. All the studios are in one big building, or anther studio building beside it, and you can drop in in other disciplines and see what's happening. When we were there, there were 2 clay classes, body casting, a water colour class, and 2 wood classes.

Plus, the food is great. Better than Pilchuck! And, you're almost in the center of Gatlinburg, a huge tourist destination. The campus is just a few hundred yards from the main drag, but well treed and secluded. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

And dont forget to tell them about Dolly World. Actually, the school sounds like they've gotten with the program. Good going!
Brock

Post by Brock »

Good point Doug! Just 15 minutes away, through the Great Smoky National Park, (or something like that) is Pigeon Forge, home to Dollywood, America's theme park dedicated to . . . mammaries?

I think she sings too.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Brock wrote:Good point Doug! Just 15 minutes away, through the Great Smoky National Park, (or something like that) is Pigeon Forge, home to Dollywood, America's theme park dedicated to . . . mammaries?

I think she sings too.
As long as those millions of visitors keep going there, it comforts me to know where they are (those millions of people who would go to such a place)
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Brock wrote:Good point Doug! Just 15 minutes away, through the Great Smoky National Park, (or something like that) is Pigeon Forge, home to Dollywood, America's theme park dedicated to . . . mammaries?

I think she sings too.
Mammaries...isnt that a Stresand song?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Doug Randall wrote:

I think she sings too.
Mammaries...isnt that a Stresand song?
Wasn't Bob Hope's theme song, "Thanks for the Mammaries"? Brock
Brock

Post by Brock »

Wasn't Bob Hope's theme song, "Thanks for the Mammaries"? Brock

I think it was Carol Doda's too. Any San Franciscans out there? Brock
M.L.

Post by M.L. »

Brock, can I assume it'll be better that the week we had at Appalachian Center for Crafts. Mike
Brock

Post by Brock »

Mike Boos wrote:Brock, can I assume it'll be better that the week we had at Appalachian Center for Crafts. Mike
You can absolutely count on it Mike. Night and day. Brock
Brock

Post by Brock »

Brock wrote:
Mike Boos wrote:Brock, can I assume it'll be better that the week we had at Appalachian Center for Crafts. Mike
You can absolutely count on it Mike. Night and day. Brock
I mean, come on! Just the food alone. . . Brock
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

When I called Arrowmount about their summer schedule they only had wonderful things to say about you two. They really enjoyed having you there. I guess I will find out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kl
Karen Laing aka arcticlass