Cutter's Mate

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jim Wixon

Cutter's Mate

Post by Jim Wixon »

I have a student with carpal tunnel wrists and a weak back. She does mostly small jewelry. I think I remember some being helped by using the 'CuttersMate' system in combination with the Morton unit. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge to share before she invests in the tools.

thanks...jim
charlie

Post by charlie »

yes. i have one. i have arthritus in my hands, and a bad neck. it's wonderful, although having the table at the correct height and cutting with your shoulder rather than your hand/wrist muscles makes glasswork easier if you don't have one.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

jim, i took a lot of stress off my back by getting a footrest. amazing how much difference it makes. Office Max and Office Depot, those kinds of places, sell a variety of these things, from really inexpensive to big bucks for stained wood, etc. doesnt help with the carpal tunnel bit, but sure takes a load off the lower back.
Dennis Brady

Post by Dennis Brady »

Not only is the CM a great solution for anyone with carpal tunnel, tendonitis, or arthritis- it's a terrific time saver for production work. Nobody on our crew has any physical afflication, but all use the CM for routine cutting.

Best tool development since the grinder. The CM company has also produced the world's best circle cutter.
DeBrady Glass Ltd http://www.debrady.com
Victorian Art Glass http://www.vicartglass.com
Glass Campus online classes http://www.glasscampus.com
Brock

Post by Brock »

Dennis Brady wrote:Not only is the CM a great solution for anyone with carpal tunnel, tendonitis, or arthritis- it's a terrific time saver for production work. Nobody on our crew has any physical afflication, but all use the CM for routine cutting.

Best tool development since the grinder. The CM company has also produced the world's best circle cutter.
I haven't used a CM but Bullseye sells a sweet large circle cutter. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

charlie wrote:yes. i have one. i have arthritus in my hands, and a bad neck. it's wonderful.
Double what Charlie said.
Jim
Judi R

Post by Judi R »

..... CM company has also produced the world's best circle cutter......

I've got both the circle cutter and cutters mate, and love them. I would recommend both to anyone with problems with hands, arms, shoulders (or is otherwise circle-impaired) :wink: Judi
Kay McConnell

Post by Kay McConnell »

Cutter's Mate is worth its weight in gold. It decreases hand fatigue, and is SO MUCH easier on an arthritic hand. I have carpal tunnel, arthritis, and shoulder problems, and the CM has helped immensely. If your musculo-skeletal system is as annoying as mine is, put out the money for the CM. You won't regret it!
Kay
Jim Wixon

Post by Jim Wixon »

Thanks for the positive information. I think the Cutter'Mate will be a major part of the solution...Is the Morton system used in combination with the Cutter'sMate a real asset for production work?