pendant display ?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Lyn

pendant display ?

Post by Lyn »

I need a display box or stand for 12 to 20 pendants to go in a gallery in 9 days. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Lyn
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

The answer depends on what you're looking for...

You can spend $1000 easily on a Dynamic Display System jewelry case. They are easy to transport and assemble.

Or you can look on ebay and see what's for sale and if it can be shipped to you in time if you win it.

I've had custom made jewelry cases that locked, small flat cases cases that I bought used from an antique dealer who was no longer selling jewelry (they didn't lock), baseball card show cases, an all glass case from a company that sells store fixtures...

So much depends on what you want to spend, how you want to present your work, whether or not the case needs to lock.

Good luck -

Geri
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Thanks for the response, I'll check some local antique stores. There is also a cabinat maker I could ask.
I visited your site, very nice. Are the egyptian ones something that could be cast in a plaster mold? I'm interested in trying that. Beautiful stuff.
Had not considered locking aspect.
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

In response to your question about the Egyptian pieces on my website...

I didn't make the glass in those pieces. They're vintage pressed glass cabs that were made between the 1920's and 1960's in several different countries. In the 1920's, there was a resurgence of interest in ancient Egypt when King Tut's tomb was discovered; that period and style of art is called "Egyptian Revival" and a great deal of Egyptian related jewelry was made during that period. There was another period in the late 1950's and 1960's when there was again a public interest in ancient Egypt and several companies made glass cabs to meet that interest. I suspect it had something to do with the movie starring Liz Taylor, "Cleopatra."

I was extremely lucky to find several dealers who sell them. I fabricate the silver settings for them and the dichro glass cabs that accompany some of them. Part of their cache for my customers is that the cabs are old, rather than something I made last week. LOL.

I have cast similar pieces in the kiln. It's a challenge to get a high shine finish on them that you can get from glass that's been pressed in molds.

Geri
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Thanks they are beautiful. I've got the plaster I'll just give it a try, Ugh, as soon as I can get this stuff finished for display on the 31st!
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

You might want to check out the Rio Grande Display catalog.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Thankyou, I spoke with them Dec. 5 about sending catalogs, had to call back yesterday, they are sending again! I didn't realize it had been that long!