will I lose a finger?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vickie

will I lose a finger?

Post by Vickie »

I am waiting to get my new Tauras 3, which I have no experience using. My question is, does it cut through skin? I have given myself an unexpected manicure using my grinder, so now I wonder if I can chop my finger off if I'm not careful using the ring saw. No, really!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get a responce from Brock!
Your friend,
Vickie
Brock

Re: will I lose a finger?

Post by Brock »

Vickie wrote:I am waiting to get my new Tauras 3, which I have no experience using. My question is, does it cut through skin? I have given myself an unexpected manicure using my grinder, so now I wonder if I can chop my finger off if I'm not careful using the ring saw. No, really!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get a responce from Brock!
Your friend,
Vickie
I just did under Photos and Stuff. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

According to the manufacturer, the Taurus Ring Saw "cuts everything but fingers". It shouldn't cut you.

If you want to worry about your body parts, worry about your eyes. It's a good idea to wear eye protection when using the saw. (And unless the 3 is a lot quieter than the 2, ear protection might make sense, too.)
dee

Post by dee »

Brad Walker wrote:According to the manufacturer, the Taurus Ring Saw "cuts everything but fingers". It shouldn't cut you.

If you want to worry about your body parts, worry about your eyes. It's a good idea to wear eye protection when using the saw. (And unless the 3 is a lot quieter than the 2, ear protection might make sense, too.)
i've been spending some quality time with the taurus 3 this week and it does spit out tiny bits of glass as it cuts but i don't worry about my fingers, a face shield would probably be the best for protection from it's spitting - as for noise, it's much quieter than the tile saw for which i do wear ear plugs, perhaps it's the frequency of it's motor that isn't as aggravating as well as decibel level - but then for what i've been doing i've been turning it on and off as i work on pieces, for longer stints i might use the earplugs again - then i definitely won't be tempted to answer the phone ;P

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Gabriel

Taurus issue

Post by Gabriel »

Just don't let the blade touch your finger nail. Anything diamond coated will absoultely destroy your nail, and the taurus will do it rapidly.
Debinsandiego

Post by Debinsandiego »

Gabriel is DEAD ON. My older ring saw will TOTALLY go through your nail if your not careful.

When my nails are long, I've got to be careful. The saw will go through them so easily, then voila!! Short nail.

Also, the spitting of the glass. On more than one occasion, I've had itty-bitty bits of glass in my hair which can then later fall into your face once you take your glasses off. I'd make sure you cover up.
Deborah
charlie

Re: will I lose a finger?

Post by charlie »

Vickie wrote:I am waiting to get my new Tauras 3, which I have no experience using. My question is, does it cut through skin? I have given myself an unexpected manicure using my grinder, so now I wonder if I can chop my finger off if I'm not careful using the ring saw. No, really!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get a responce from Brock!
Your friend,
Vickie
i've seen the ring blade on a taurus 2 shatter and go through a palm, but that was when they were cutting a stack of glass pieces, which isn't recommended.