S Ontario newbie w/ questions

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

gthomson

S Ontario newbie w/ questions

Post by gthomson »

I'm a complete beginner at this, but I've signed up for a couple of courses and have some skill-building projects in mind for the near term.

Two questions, though:

Is there a chemical test for the tin side of float glass? I have easier access to chem labs than UV lights right at the moment.

Does anybody have kiln time for rent in S. Ontario, anywhere between London and Mississauga? The place I'm taking the course has time for rent, but their opening hours won't allow me to get there more than once or twice a month.

Cheers,

Glenn
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

No chemical test that I know of, but give it the taste test.

http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3600

Worked for me. Try it with a light first so you know which side the tin is on and then you can calibtrate your tongue.

Ron
gthomson

Post by gthomson »

Ron Coleman wrote:No chemical test that I know of, but give it the taste test.

http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3600

Worked for me. Try it with a light first so you know which side the tin is on and then you can calibtrate your tongue.

Ron
Mmm.... Tin....

This is reclaimed glass. Guess I'd better clean it thoroughly.

Thanks for the link. I've been going through the archives, but there's a lot to absorb.

Cheers,

Glenn
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

For some reason this reminds me of my college geology class. In the lab part of the class during the exam you were supposed to identify minerals using a number of tests such as hardness, streak and reaction to chemicals. Each mineral would be checked by a student and then handed on to the next one. One of the minerals was Halite which of course is rock salt. People were always cheating and taking a little lick of any mineral that looked like it, unfortunately there was a similar mineral that could be indentified by putting a drop or two of hydrochloric acid on it and the acid would then fizz. So the people who were sneaking licks were often getting a good bit of hydrochloric acid in their mouths. The prof. therefore was forced to repeat, "No licking!!" all during the exam.
Amy
Jim Bryant

Post by Jim Bryant »

Glenn:

My dad used to be able to tell the tin side by scaping his finger nails on the glass, like on a chalk board. I was never able to pick up this technique myself, but you could always try. One side of the glass will have a little more drag to it. Key, don't scrape so hard as to get the irritating sound a chalk board makes. I was only able to get about 60 to 70 percent, where as my dad nailed it every time. Give it a try!

Jim