Lambert's glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

robertb

Lambert's glass

Post by robertb »

Good morning! Does anyone out there a an anealing temp for Lambert "s glass. I need to fuse an irregular shape with varied thicknesses throughout.

robertb
robert
Jan de Jong

Lambert's Glass

Post by Jan de Jong »

Hello,

No, but perhaps you can find something here:

http://www.lamberts.de/elambhom.htm[img]

Jan[/img]
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

Have you done much fusing with Lamberts? I've done a few experiments and found it extremely prone to devit. After testing about 15 colors, I came up with 5 that were compatible, and out of that group, only 3 fused well. Fusing same to same always works, of course, but I still found that the unpredictabilty of Lamberts as a fusing glass makes it a frustruating venture. Suffice it to say that there were enough complications to scare me away long before I ever tried to fine-tune an annealing schedule. This probably hasn't been too helpful to you, but I was just curious if maybe you were already able to fuse successfully with Lamberts and only needed to double-check your numbers.

AV
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Fusing Lamberts is a very poor use of expensive glass. Lamberts gets it's beauty from being formed in contact with only air. Fusinng requires contact with a mold and will dull the surface. Besides the compatibility issues, a piece of blue Lamberts and a piece of BE or Spectrum blue after fusing will look the same or the rolled glasses will look better, probably better because those glasses are formulated to resist devit, take multiple firings, and have a consistent COE. Lamberts has none of those properties.

In a leaded glass window the opposite is in effect. Nothing looks or cuts as good as Lamberts, with the possible exception of Fremont.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
robertb

Post by robertb »

Hi guys, no I have never used Lambert's. I've been asked by an Stained glass artist to construct the fused portion of church window she is building. This portion is to be made of Lambert's. I will now try to show her the error of her ways. thank you gentlemen
robert