Slumping 24" x 24" tack fused COE 96 glass

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

hifire

Slumping 24" x 24" tack fused COE 96 glass

Post by hifire »

I am new to glass slumping. I am a ceramic artist who has a commission including slumped 24" x 24" sheet glass over undulating textured clay originals (my tiles).

I am about to purchase 1000 bucks worth of Spectrum COE 96 colored and clear glass, tack fuse them together and then slump them over one of my undulating carved ceramic tiles covered with kiln wash. (400 of that is shipping!!!)

I have had success tacking and slumping a 24" x 12" piece (since Delphi forgot to tell me they were going to CUT my first order in half to ship it, I've had plenty of glass to do tests with). Now I'm ready to try the full 24 x 24 inch sheets.

QUESTION: Will I have problems with such a large sheet of glass, or should it work just as well as the 24 x 12 did??

Thank you all for being there to help a newbee!!!

Natalie Blake
hifire
Stephen Richard

Re: Slumping 24" x 24" tack fused COE 96 glass

Post by Stephen Richard »

I think it should work as well as the smaller piece, as long as there is sufficient space between the elements and the glass
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

I also think It will work but I would slow my schedule down from what I used on the smaller piece.
Bob
hifire

Post by hifire »

Okay!!! Thank you so much all for your help. I am going to go ahead and order the big sheets!! Luckily my kiln is very large so I will be able to keep the glass away from the elements.
I understand that you can't really stack glass between shelves, as it changes the thermal shock. So I plan on firing one piece at a time.
Natalie
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Done stress check with polarizing film?
Babette (Shawn)

Post by Babette (Shawn) »

I won't deal with Delphi...they list a piece of glass as 24" by 24" and when you purchase that same 24" by 24" piece of glass they cut it to ship it! Also when you make a purchase of several "in stock" items sometimes it doesn't arrive, only to find out much later that one of the items you ordered was back ordered (they never tell you this) and they hold shipping on the WHOLE order for months until they get it all together to ship at one time! Who needs this kind of aggravation?
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
― Pablo Picasso
hifire

Post by hifire »

I must say, I was incredibly amazed that they would ship glass like that. And then the woman was defensive when I called her about it. I am very happy to have another source to purchase from.
nb, hifire