Fusing w/BE Thin Irid

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Catwoman

Fusing w/BE Thin Irid

Post by Catwoman »

:shock:
I am in a state of frustration : (
I have been fusing glass for 7 years or so but am in a quandry right now. What I am trying to so is so simple & yet my efforts so far have failed.
All I want to do is fuse a piece of dichro about 1/4" by 3/4" (face up) to a small peice of irid thin BE about 1/2" by 1" .
I have tried going slow slow and also gone fast to 700 and then slow slow to acheive the fuse. Each time I still get the "pulling" effect on the irid thin. Does anyone have a schedule for something like this? My goal is not a full fuse but a stick fuse with soft edges.I am trying it initially with the lil Hot Box but will transfering larger batches to my vintage glass glow (20") if I am ever able to get it down : )

Thank you in advance for any idea's that you may have!!!
~Cat~[/b]
Linda Hassur

Post by Linda Hassur »

Irid won't stick to dichroic unless you sandblast off the edges of both so they have a surface to fuse against. They "repel" each other. Linda
Catwoman

Thin iridw/dichro....

Post by Catwoman »

thank you Linda. I have fused dichro with irid alot. It fuses fine as ling as the dichro side is "up" . If the two metals meet (not the best description I know) then you will experience the repeling that you refer to. The problem that I am refering to is actually the thin ird bullseye as it needs to be fired differntely than my standard schedules. Thank you for trying though : )
~Cat~ :roll:
Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

If I read you correctly, the irid is stretching or pulling? The only thing I can think of is the thin is trying to pull back to 1/4". Can you use more glass, or try doubling it up?

Dick
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

It's a balance between glass volumes that is giving you trouble. The dichro piece is trying to shrink and the irid coating gets pulled with the glass. You might try sandblasting the irid coating right under the dichro piece and see if that helps, or go for just a tack fuse of the dichro piece on top of the irid.

Ron