Purple polka dotted kiln wash

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Franzeska

Purple polka dotted kiln wash

Post by Franzeska »

Someone recommended the Hotline Primo Primer as the best to coat my molds. I mixed it up (1 : 4.5), but the purple specks would not disappear. I put a cover on the bowl (tightly sealed Pyrex bowl) and let it sit over night. I mixed it up again, but there were still some purple dots. I figured that this is how it is supposed to look, so I started applying it to little bottomless molds from Laurie Spray. The molds were pretty darn smooth. As I applied it with a new Haik brush, the purple dots became purple streaks. I applied four coats, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next. I let them dry overnight. The following evening, I felt the molds and they were very rough to the touch. I dug up an old stocking and rubbed one of the molds, but nothing, I mean nothing happened. I then applied water with the Haik brush to see if I could "melt" the surface. That technique worked nicely on my kiln shelf (albeit with the kiln wash that come with my kiln), so why not the mold? Well, no luck. Do I resort to sand paper???? If so, which grit? Was 1 : 4.5 too thick? It certainly seemed pretty runny. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Franzeska
Laurie Spray

Re: Purple polka dotted kiln wash

Post by Laurie Spray »

I think it must be something in the kiln wash that is not disolving completely......I would not worry about it and fire away........if you sand it off you will just have to reapply it. Personally we prefer Bullseye wash. Have fun with the molds!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Lia Howe

Post by Lia Howe »

I have had the same problems with the primo primer. When it settles trying to remix it is hard. I even considered using my husbands drill to mix it, ya that hard. I am not giving up yet as I have been told that it is the best for castings.
I too am a lover of Bullseye Pink. Easy to mix and I don't get that settling problem. I use it alot on stainless molds ( methyl hydrate method) Love it.Lia
Vicki M

Post by Vicki M »

I use the Hotline and yes I also have the purple dots that turn to streaks when you brush it on but it doesn't affect the firing. I also mix mine in a mason jar with a glass marble in the jar, when I need to use it again I just keep swirling the jar and the marble mixes the kiln wash just fine. Hope this helps.
Franzeska

Post by Franzeska »

The marble in the jar sounds like a good idea. Also, I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only one who got the purple streaks...
Janet McFadyen

Post by Janet McFadyen »

I turn my container upside down when I have leftover kw... it is much easier to mix the next time as it is not stuck in the edges of the bucket.
facebook artist page @ Janet McFadyen's Glass