float glass frit

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Beau Lyons

float glass frit

Post by Beau Lyons »

I make small glass sculptures and need an inexpensive colored glass frit.
Stephen from Scotland mentioned the use of enamels to color the glass.
Where can i obtain more information on the use of enamels on glass.
Bert Weiss

Re: float glass frit

Post by Bert Weiss »

Beau

Your profile doesn't mention which continent you live in. In the USA Youghiogheny EZ fuse is compatible with some PPG glass and some Vitro glass. Thompson Enamel makes some float compatible frits.

In Europe there are a few companies that make float compatible frits. Some of these are available in the USA You have to test. Float glass is created in many different formulations, all of which are invisible to the naked eye.

I don't know what is available in Australia.

The ones I have mentioned have transparent colors.

You can also use ceramic onglaze colors for translucent or opaque colors. These are applied so thin as to not have compatibility issues.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Beau Lyons

Post by Beau Lyons »

Hi Bert,
I live in Australia, Fused art glass is very expensive, not enough competition.
For example, I was quoted USD$1,800 for a taurus 3 ring saw, here last week???

I am hoping to make glass sculpture (I have been a sculptor for 35 years, though not in glass)
I am hoping I can reduce the price of the glass I use by using cheap frits made from float glass and coat it with a color, either paint or mason stain before firing.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Beau Lyons wrote:Hi Bert,
I live in Australia, Fused art glass is very expensive, not enough competition.
For example, I was quoted USD$1,800 for a taurus 3 ring saw, here last week???

I am hoping to make glass sculpture (I have been a sculptor for 35 years, though not in glass)
I am hoping I can reduce the price of the glass I use by using cheap frits made from float glass and coat it with a color, either paint or mason stain before firing.
Beau

I work with casting using broken tempered glass that was destined for the dumpster. My original assessment of this practice was that it was a poor idea. Float glass is pretty stiff compared to fusing and casting glasses. My practice has shown me that processing this "free" glass is a lot more work than cutting and cleaning sheet glass. However with some perseverance, there are ways to use the material to make some compelling art. I am fortunate to have some float with compatible colors right now. The float I used for many years was not compatible. Lucky for me, that factory closed, so my glass supply company picked up another as their primary supplier.

I suggest that you look in to Gaffer lead crystal. This is one of the most beautiful glasses available in the world and it is manufactured in New Zealand. Lead crystal is a very soft glass with excellent flow characteristics. Next to it's beauty is the fact that it softens at a much lower temperature. Plaster based investment molds are quite temperature sensitive, so being able to work cooler has many advantages. Gaffer glass is expensive, so start out small.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Beau Lyons

Post by Beau Lyons »

Any other comments in regard to float glass frit, colored with enamels.
Is the tin contamination (float glass) going to cause any problems.
Should I use clear bottle glass instead.??

Art glass in Australia is just TOO expensive, plus I have to pay freight if I am ordering from the USA.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Beau Lyons wrote:Any other comments in regard to float glass frit, colored with enamels.
Is the tin contamination (float glass) going to cause any problems.
Should I use clear bottle glass instead.??

Art glass in Australia is just TOO expensive, plus I have to pay freight if I am ordering from the USA.
You have to test. Some colors like turquoise tend to turn brown. My cobalt blue turns darker blue on the tin side than it does on the air side. Both are nice colors though. Others don't change at all. When I tested Youghiogheny EZ fuse with a compatible float glass there were zero tin reactions.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

I get orders from all over the world , I just shipped 20 pounds of scrap fusing glass to Russia. I always wondered why people in Australia, Russia, Israel ect didn't mind spending 65.00 for a large flat rate box that ships locally for 15.95. I used to balk at shipping overseas until I found out how hard it was for them to get supplies. I guess we don't realize how lucky we are to have supplies so readily available.