Skutt Hotstart Pro versus Paragon Fusion 6

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

BadExampleMan

Skutt Hotstart Pro versus Paragon Fusion 6

Post by BadExampleMan »

I'm ready to buy my first kiln, and my choices have come down to a Skutt Hotstart Pro versus a Paragon Fusion 6.

I'll pay a little bit more for the Skutt but they have an Israeli distributor so I won't have to mess around with shipping, customs or delivery like I will if I go for the Paragon. Call it a wash as far as that goes.

So, opinions: which is the better choice and why? I'm going to be using them mostly for small pieces, jewelry, tiles, that sort of thing.

Thanks.
Sharol

Re: Skutt Hotstart Pro versus Paragon Fusion 6

Post by Sharol »

My 1st kiln was the Skutt HotStart Pro. It has been a workhorse for me and I've had no problems. I've used it regularly for about 8 years. Skutt gives great customer service, including technical assistance.

I would suggest though that you seriously consider moving up to the Skutt Firebox 14 or the larger square Paragon. The square shape will give you a lot more flexibility. The round kiln shelf will only accommodate about an 8 1/2" square piece of glass, where the Firebox shelf can handle a full 12 x 12" square. That's a lot more surface area for the price. Even if you are just making smaller items, you can fire a lot more of them at once with the square shelf. Like the HotStart Pro, the Firebox 14 runs on 120 volt. It does cost about $80 or $90 (US$) more, but I think it's well worth it. If I was looking to replace my little Skutt, that's the model I would likely buy.

The only complaints I have about the HotStart Pro (and the Firebox would have the same issue, the Paragon too I think) is that the elements are held in place with pins that over time can become loose, causing the elements to sag. Sometimes the pins can fall out. You can reinstall or push the pins back into the lid, but over time a more permanent solution may be needed. There has been a lot of discussion on this board about this problem.

All in all...I highly recommend Skutt kilns and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Good luck with your kiln quest :)

Sharol