how many layers

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

shards57

how many layers

Post by shards57 »

I have never made any candle/votive/tea light holders before. So when I was looking on line, I saw ones that were a kerchief look and others that were a driplike look, done with 1/4" sticks of glass. I saw two layers, I saw one layer. I would like opinions on the one layer....particularly when they are the driplike look. Wouldn't they be too fragile? I thought everything had to be two layers? :?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: how many layers

Post by Brad Walker »

One layer pieces are more fragile, but require less glass so they're cheaper to make. Firing one layer to a higher temperature to get more flow and a "driplike look" would be much more difficult that firing two or three layers.
shards57

Post by shards57 »

so one layer is ok to fire then? The drippy look doesn't come from firing higher, I don't think....just comes from the design....like a flower where the petals are made from 1/4" strips all converging in the middle. The draping then makes it look like stamens sticking up or fingers. I just figured because it was only one layer and it's that particular design and not just a square piece of one layer glass, that those individual fingers or stamens would be too fragile. I've seen the same thing on a video by Craig Mitchell Smith - he used black glass to make the stamen part of his poppies, but it was only part of the whole design.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

One layer will fire, just be more fragile.
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

Mmmm ... perfect opportunity for some controlled testing. I, for one, would like to see your various results.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX