Thin glass slumping

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Salo

Thin glass slumping

Post by Salo »

Hello everybody,
I need some help about mold making/firing schedule for slumping thin (1mm)glass. I must warp a little a 8x8" piece of clear float glass (I must take the shape from another -original- glass)
Thanks
Bert Weiss

Re: Thin glass slumping

Post by Bert Weiss »

You have 2 challenges. Thin glass weighs less so there is less force pushing down on it. 8" x 8" is a small span, so there is not a lot of weight pushing down as well. It is not that difficult to get the glass to slump, if you don't care about adding some texture. If you want it unmarked, it is difficult. Fire to 1140ºF and wait until it attains the shape you want. The tin side will fog up in places where it is compressed.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Salo

Post by Salo »

Thanks for help. I need this glass for plating- so adding texture it's a problem...any advise about the mold?
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

What kind of shape are you trying to achieve? Is it a gentle bend, or more strong curve? Is it for a furniture setting?
You can take a mould from the original shape in various materials and then make a refactory mould from that.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Salo

Post by Salo »

It's a gentle bend. I'm plating an old painted piece of glass with multiple (bonded) cracks. It's some kind of reinforcement of the back. The original it's bended to ( helical twist)