Mezuzah mold?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Hannah Love

Mezuzah mold?

Post by Hannah Love »

Has anyone used a Mezuzah mold or a seder plate mold? Any tips? Do you use fiber paper in the mezuzah mold or just kiln wash?

Can the mezuzah be slumped in the same load as a small plate that is also being slumped? Any guidances would be much appreciated.
RachelM

Re: Mezuzah mold?

Post by RachelM »

Hi. I don't have an answer for you but in the same vein of the conversation, I just, last night, slumped a mezzuzaha I made free form over a stack of fiber paper. Instead of the mezzuzahs slumping over the fiber paper, it somehow "arched up". So I will be following this thread closely to see what advice is given.

Thanks.

Rachel
Imaglassydiva@aol.com
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Do you have a picture?
Jim

RachelM wrote:Hi. I don't have an answer for you but in the same vein of the conversation, I just, last night, slumped a mezzuzaha I made free form over a stack of fiber paper. Instead of the mezzuzahs slumping over the fiber paper, it somehow "arched up". So I will be following this thread closely to see what advice is given.

Thanks.

Rachel
Imaglassydiva@aol.com
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Hannah Love wrote:Has anyone used a Mezuzah mold or a seder plate mold? Any tips? Do you use fiber paper in the mezuzah mold or just kiln wash?

Can the mezuzah be slumped in the same load as a small plate that is also being slumped? Any guidances would be much appreciated.
The size and weight of the glass determine how long it takes to slump. Chances are a mezzuzah will take longer than a bowl or seder plate. However, as long as you don't go too hot, I see no reason why the larger won't wait around for the smaller.

I make mezzuzot using silica fiber twisted rope. I dust it with alumina hydrate and then drape over it. It is all about how good you get at doing the shin. There are a myriad of ways to do it.

You can make a seder plate mold by cutting holes in a fiber board. Just cook until the cups form. With a drop style of mold, I would only do one thing at a time. If you are slumping in to a formed mold, it will be far more forgiving.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Franzeska

Post by Franzeska »

Thank you, Bert, for sharing how you form the mezzuzah. The mold I saw advertised is pretty expensive and it won't give me the "look" I am going after.