help with printing laserjet files without fusing images

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

hoknok

help with printing laserjet files without fusing images

Post by hoknok »

My question relates to Wallace and his laser printed images on float glass.

I have a laser jet 5mp and need to disconnect the fusing assembly in order to make laser prints that are not fused with the toner. I have my printer shell off and found the fusing assembly.

The printer detects when this assembly is removed, so i disconnected the lead wires from the terminal on the fusing unit and it still recognized a problem. I even disconnected the other end of the fusing until terminals and still had the same problem.

My question is... How did you get the prints without fusing the toner?

Mike Hawkins
Wallace Venable

Post by Wallace Venable »

I told him be email that I don't do it that way. I let the printer fuse onto a transfer medium. Some other experimenters have reported ways to skip printer fusing and transfer unfused toner. A potentially messy procedure at best, and it may damage a printer if you get it wrong.
Wally Venable, Student of glass
hoknok

Post by hoknok »

I know that my laser printer on rare ocassions prins out things without fusing the toner since the toner still is in powder form and rubs off very easily. I was thinking there might be a way of duplicating such "problem"?

Currently, I have posted my questiond on a HP laser tech board. I will let you know what I find. I have mixed results when I use paper. I will try overhead trans as well but was thinking the plastic film could cause problems?

Still testing