MR-97 mold release

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Celene

MR-97 mold release

Post by Celene »

I'm using MR-97 Boron Nitride spray for my frit molds. The glass that was in contact with the mold has a satiny sheen rather than a glossy finish. The side not in contact with the mold is glossy. Am I just not getting all the mold release off? Or am I doing something wrong? How can I scrub it off? Thanks!
Every artist was first an amateur.~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
JestersBaubles

Re: MR-97 mold release

Post by JestersBaubles »

Anything touching a mold, whether protected with BN, shelf paper or kiln wash, is going to have a different finish than the "air side".

Dana W.
Celene

Post by Celene »

Thanks JestersBaubles! I think I was either misinformed, or I misunderstood because I believe I was told that part of the benefit to using BN rather than kiln wash, was so it would have a nice glossy finish. I guess I'm scrubbing for nothing. I didn't mind the finish so much when I did flowers, but I did a dragonfly and I wanted the wings to be very translucent and they're not. I was kinda disappointed.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Talk to Larry at colour deveere
He will give you the straight skinny

Celene wrote:I'm using MR-97 Boron Nitride spray for my frit molds. The glass that was in contact with the mold has a satiny sheen rather than a glossy finish. The side not in contact with the mold is glossy. Am I just not getting all the mold release off? Or am I doing something wrong? How can I scrub it off? Thanks!
Celene

Post by Celene »

Thanks Jim! I will!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

If you want both sides to be glossy, you can either do a drop slump, blow glass, or torch work it. Contact with a mold dulls the finish, and adds texture. Partial contact with the mold is the worst, as you get some of each.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Celene

Post by Celene »

Thanks Bert! You've given me some good advice and things to think of!