How to avoid slumping when fusing over a glass net?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Hedda

How to avoid slumping when fusing over a glass net?

Post by Hedda »

I like a lot the organic look of 1 layer glass nets made of irregular strips and their rounded holes. I would like to tack-fuse a 6mm full sheet piece of 10x20 cm BETWEEN two such nets, partially overlapping. Some of the net holes are around 2 cm diameter.The main problem , as i see it, is that the middle piece is expected to slump within the holes of the lower net. In order to avoid that, i thought about using fiber paper cut according to the pattern of the lower net, surrounding it and filling the holes with it. BUT, I am afraid of the rough impression it will leave on the glass and the difficulty of cold working through the net holes with my diamond pads. I don't have a sand blaster.
Is there any other way to overcome this problem? Some other smoother support for the upper glass that could fill the holes of the net? Or another design to reach the same goal?
I am working with system 96, and i thought about reaching a temp of 1360 and of course do a lllonggg annealing.
rosanna gusler

Re: How to avoid slumping when fusing over a glass net?

Post by rosanna gusler »

I would glue the bottom net to the solid piece and then press them into a bed of dry plaster or kiln wash. Then I would place the top net on and fire. R.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Hedda

Post by Hedda »

I would glue the bottom net to the solid piece and then press them into a bed of dry plaster or kiln wash. Then I would place the top net on and fire. R.
Thank you Rossana, seems a great idea and easy to apply. Do you think that the powder kilnwash or plaster will provide enough support? I have both, which of them to you think will be smoother for the glass at this temperature?
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Cold fusion. Glue the bottom net on after fusing.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Hedda

Post by Hedda »

Bert, thank you. But, if cold fusing, shouldn't I be afraid of the KILN GOD's wrath :evil: ?
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Hedda wrote:
Thank you Rossana, seems a great idea and easy to apply. Do you think that the powder kilnwash or plaster will provide enough support? I have both, which of them to you think will be smoother for the glass at this temperature?
either will work. screed the powder flat and press the glass into it gently but firmly. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher