Layer and Stack Pre-Fired Stringer Over floral Former?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Laura Mullen

Layer and Stack Pre-Fired Stringer Over floral Former?

Post by Laura Mullen »

I have 4 layers of stringer (assembled like fabric) already fired to tack fuse. I've made three of these squares. Now I want to slump them over a floral former, but I want to stack them on top of one another before firing them. I'm hoping what will happen is that each layer of pre-fired stringer will fall at a different rate. What do you think my chances are of that happening (I'd sit by the kiln to catch them mid-fall)? I was thinking I'd have to vary the "fabric" squares' sizes by a small amount. The largest sheet, which would be on the bottom of the stack (and the first against the floral former), would fall first and the most straight over the former. Would the other sheets fall differently enough to get the effect I want, or would they all fall at about the same rate? At $25/tube, I'd rather not "just try it." Thanks for your help.
LauraM
Judd

Re: Layer and Stack Pre-Fired Stringer Over floral Former?

Post by Judd »

Sounds like a PITA. If you do not want to experiment, I'd put a sheet of transparent on the form, put a square of the fabric on top and fire cool looking vases - problem solved. Your suggested method may work, but I'm pretty sure you'll burn through a couple of $25 tubes before you get it just right. Good luck.
Cheryl

Re: Layer and Stack Pre-Fired Stringer Over floral Former?

Post by Cheryl »

What you want to do first is test the viscosity of each color (I think from your msg that you have a single color per sheet?) Take 2 kiln bricks, or pieces of kiln furniture, or whatever. Suspend a piece of each color of the stringer so that it's supported on both ends. Then slump. Then you will know the relative softness of each glass. That determines your order. It's going to depend on your color choices whether your plan will work - some glasses are very close in viscosity, others are quite far apart (black and white for example are the softest and hardest glasses, respectively).

If you wanted to hedge your bets, you'd use fiber paper (not thinfire) in between layers.
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson